HON. T. P. O'CONNOR'S ADDRESS

Eloquent, Illustrated Talk on Ireland and English Parliamentary Life

Before an audience which completely filled the Living Room of the Union, the Honorable Thomas Power O'Connor, M. P., last evening delivered a masterful address on "English Parliamentary Life." With the intimacy of one who, as the leader of the Irish Nationalist Party has for 27 years occupied a seat in the House of Commons, the speaker eulogized Parnell and Gladstone for their devotion to the Irish cause, gently ridiculed Balfour and ancient English customs, gave a pathetic picture of suffering Ireland in its true light, and humorously caricatured peculiarities in Parliamentary practice.

Mr. O'Connor laid great streets on this peculiar mixture of laxity and stern customs in Parliamentary procedure. While, for example, lounging, yawning, and sleeping during an opponent's speech is a common matter, leaving the chamber without bowing before the speaker's chair is unheard of. But many of the irrevocable customs, ridiculous as they may seem to one who does not understand their meaning, were, at the time of their institution, founded on necessary circumstances, and therefore worthy of respect. In the paraphernalia, customs, and associations of Westminster Abbey, historic past and actual present are strangely mingled.

Mr. O'Connor exhibited several excellent portraits and caricatures of famous Parliamentary leaders, by F. C. Gould, the contemporary cartoonist. Many of these, like Gladstone, had long careers; while, on the other hand, such men as Randolph Churchill, destined in the light of his early progress to a great career, if not a Prime Ministership, were ruined through a single fatal speech or a sudden change of sentiment.