Encouraging Game Against Resourceful Opponents.--Many Substitutes.

The University football team defeated Dartmouth Saturday afternoon in the Stadium by the score of 22 to 9, in a game which showed up the possibilities of the new rules to excellent advantage. Orr made two touchdowns for the University eleven in the first half, the first on a 45-yard, gain on a forward pass, the second after recovering the ball on a 54-yard onside kick. Wendell also carried the ball over Dartmouth's goal line in the first half, but the touchdown was not allowed on account of a penalty for offside play, and Newhall was forced to try a drop kick which was successful. Wendell made a third touchdown for the University eleven in the second half. The Dartmouth team scored a goal from placement in the first half, and one touchdown in the second half after the Harvard eleven had been greatly weakened by the substitution of poorer men in the line.

Dartmouth played a decidedly tricky and interesting game of football, the plays running rapidly from line bucks, criss-cross runs, and end runs to forward passes, onside kicks, and fake kicks from placement. Harvard, on the other hand, relied mainly on straight football, practically the only variations being forward passes and onside kicks from formation. One noticeable feature of the game was the excellent way in which the members of the University team followed the ball. In the first half with four substitutes in the line-up Harvard completely outplayed Dartmouth, showing a very powerful offense and a defense which prevented their opponents from making a touchdown with the ball in their possession on Harvard's seven-yard line. Of the ends Orr played by far the best game, although he, too, was slow in getting down the field under punts. His tackling was sure and hard, and his scoring of two touchdowns on long, open plays were the most brilliant features in the game. In the line Osborne was of great service on the offence, often getting down the field on open plays or kicks before the ends. Peirce played a very satisfactory all-around game. Of all the linemen, however, Parker and Kersburg were the most efficient, for while they were in the game the Dartmouth backs were unable to rush the ball through the line with any sort of consistency. Brock and Gilmore, the substitute guards, played a hard game, but lacked experience. Newhall put up his usual good game, and showed his ability at drop kicking to good advantage. Of the backs Wendell was the mainstay in rushing the ball, and with Lincoln, formed a fairly strong secondary defense. Finally, considering that so many substitutes were played on the University eleven, the outcome of the contest was far from disappointing.

For Dartmouth the absence of Captain Glaze was not severely felt on account of the ability of his substitute McDevitt. The latter made Dartmouth's field goal and was the best all around man on the team. Dartmouth's rally in the second half was due rather to a weakening of the University team by the use of substi-

tutes than to a strengthening of their own eleven.

The Game Play by Play.

Parker kicked off to Stuart, who ran the ball back from the three to the 15-yard line. After one play McDevitt punted. Newhall securing the ball out of bounds on Dartmouth's 49-yard line. Wendell and Gilder made a first down in three rushes, but in the next play the ball went to the opponents on a forward pass which touched the ground. An exchange of punts followed, each team rushing the ball a few yards before kicking it. With the ball in Dartmouth's possession on their 40-yard line, the team failed to gain, and McDevitt punted to Newhall on the 38-yard line, who shortly after returned the punt, Osborne recovering the ball on Dartmouth's 34-yard line for a 35-yard gain. Wendell and Lincoln carried the ball to the 19-yard line in three rushes, after which Wendell, assisted, by a three-yard gain by Lincoln, made a touchdown on the fifth play, but Harvard was set back to the nine-yard line for offside play. As it was third down, Newhall tried a drop kick on which the ball went fairly between the posts.

Lincoln received McDevitt's kick-off on the six-yard line and ran to the 48-yard line before he was forced out of bounds. Newhall punted to McDevitt on Dartmouth's 29-yard line. After two short gains, one through the line and one on a forward pass, Dartmouth was set back to the 21-yard line for holding, recovering five yards on the next play, however, for Parker's interference with the centre. Orr downed the ball on the short punt which followed on the 44-yard line. On the next play Orr got the ball on a forward pass from Newhall, and, after dodging McDevitt in the backfield, made the first touchdown of the game, Osborne kicked the goal.

Brock ran back the kick-off 16 yards to the 31-yard line. Harvard was offside in the next play and the ball was taken back to the 21-yard line. On a fake punt Lincoln was forced back to the 12-yard line. Newhall punted to McDevitt, who downed the ball out of bounds on the University team's 34-yard line. The eleven failed to gain, and McDevitt, who had dropped back for a punt, made a long forward pass to Lang who was downed on Harvard's seven-yard line. The Dartmouth team could not gain at all through the opposing line, and on the third down McDevitt kicked a goal from placement, Stuart holding the ball.

Stuart downed the ball on the kick-off for a touchback. Gilder ran back the kick-out from his own 50-yard line to Dartmouth's 49-yard line. Then, after two substantial gains by Gilder and Lincoln, Dartmouth secured the ball on a forward pass on their 31-yard line. After one play Harvard was penalized five yards for offside play. Dartmouth carried the ball to the 51-yard line in five line bucks and a forward pass to DeAngelis. Here Wendell secured the ball on a forward pass. Lincoln made five yards on an onside kick on which the ball went out of bounds. Newhall at once tried another onside kick, sending the ball over McDevitt's head. Osborne blocked off McDevitt, which enabled Orr to get the ball and carry it over the line for a touchdown. Osborne kicked the goal. The half closed immediately after the kick-off.

The Second Period.

In the second half Fraser replaced Parker at centre for Harvard and C. Smith took the place of Hobbs at left tackle on the Dartmouth team. Wendell ran back the kick-off from the six to the 25-yard line. After a short gain Newhall punted to Greenwood on Dartmouth's 47-yard line. Dartmouth was set back to the 32-yard line for holding, after which Pritchard downed the ball on a forward pass on the 40-yard line. McDevitt punted to Newhall on Harvard's 36-yard line, and on the next play Gilder fumbled, Dartmouth securing the ball. After the backs had rushed the ball 14-yards, McDevitt tried another goal from placement on which the ball barely failed to cross the bar. Lang ran back the kick-out 28 yards to Harvard's 42-yard line. Newhall then got the ball on a forward pass on his 34-yard line. Newhall at once punted, and when his team regained the ball on a forward pass, he punted again, McDevitt downing the ball on the five-yard line. McDevitt returned the punt to Newhall on the 34-yard line. In the next play Osborne downed the ball on the 16-yard line after a fumbled forward pass. In five plays Wendell made the third and last touchdown for Harvard. Osborne kicked the goal.

Apollonio replaced Wendell, and Hall went in for Newhall and Mason for Gilder on Harvard's team, while for Dartmouth. Heneage replaced Driver and Blake, Pevear. During the rest of the time Dartmouth played an extremely fast game. After getting the ball on their own 22-yard line on the kick-off, the eleven carried it steadily forward to Harvard's 19-yard line, where McDevitt tried a field floal which failed. Hatherway went in for Greenwood, and Steward replaced Stuart for Dartmouth, and Gilmore went in for Kersburg on the University eleven. Hall kicked out to the 49-yard line, from where the Dartmouth team carried the ball to within striking distance, this time scoring a touchdown. With the ball on the 13-yard line McDevitt and Steward dropped back as if for a goal from placement, but McDevitt, who received the ball, made a forward pass to Lang on the eight-yard line. The latter, aided by good interference, made his way over the line. McDevitt missed the goal.

On the next kick-off Lang of Dartmouth ran 55-yards through the Harvard team, being finally tackled by Osborne on the 45-yard line. By means of three fierce line bucks and one forward pass the ball was carried to the 17-yard line, where McDevitt tried another goal from placement. The ball was blocked, but regained by Lang on the nine-yard line just as time was called.

The summary:

HARVARD.  DARTMOUTH.Bird, l.e.  r.e., PritchardOsborne, l.t.  r.t., LangBrock, l.g.  r.g., Pevear, BlakeParker, Fraser, c.  c., BrusseKersburg, Gilmore, r.g.  l.g., TobinPeirce, r.t.  l.t., Hobbs, C. SmithOrr, r.e.  l.e., DeAngelisNewhall, Hall, q.b.  q.b., McDevittGilder, Mason, l.h.  r.h., Stuart, StewardLincoln, r.h.  l.h., Driver, HeneageWendell, Apollonio, f.b.  f.b., Greenwood, Hathawa