SNAPPY SECRET PRACTICE

Four Touchdowns by University Team.--Practice From Now on Mainly Secret.

The practice of the University football squad yesterday, which was entirely secret, was unusually fast and snappy, due partly to the cold weather. In a 25-minute scrimmage the University team scored four touchdowns on the second eleven, being able to rush the ball practically at will. Although there was considerable fumbling, the men showed great improvement in their ability to follow the ball both on fumbles and on kicks.

Peirce made the first touchdown by falling on the ball behind the line after White had fumbled on the two-yard line. The second score occurred after the University eleven had rushed the ball steadily forward from the 30-yard line, Wendell making the touchdown. Shortly after the third kick-off Somes fumbled Hall's quarterback kick on the 30-yard line, which enabled Starr to secure the ball and carry it a short distance for the third touchdown. Wendell secured the fourth and last touchdown after white had intercepted a forward pass, made by the second eleven, and run 20 yards to the three-yard line. Starr played an exceptionally fine game at end, besides scoring one touchdown and kicking all four goals. A great many forward passes and onside kicks were tried, most of which were successful. After the regular scrimmage 15 minutes were devoted to practice in kicking, each eleven punting as soon as it got possession of the ball; and 10 minutes to trying out the defensive strength of the University team by repeatedly giving the ball to the second eleven. The latter part of the work was fairly satisfactory from the point of view of the first team, for the opposing eleven failed to score.

The preliminary work was very short, consisting principally of signal practice in which the forward pass was the main feature. The entire squad was given a few minutes practice in quick starting. Parker tried several field goals, and also received some individual instruction from Coach Reid in passing the ball. Newhall was given a day's rest.

The teams lined up for scrimmage as follows: FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. Kennard, Bird, l.e.  r.e., Appleton, Macdonald Osborne, Hoar, l.t.  r.t., Philippbar Burr, Gilmore, l.g.  r.g., Irving, Brock Fraser, Nourse, c.  c., Dore Warren, r.g.  l.g., Plumb Peirce, r.t.  l.t., Blanchard Starr, r.e.  r.e., Moore Hall, q.b.  q.b., Adams Rand, l.h.  r.h., Greenebaum White, r.h.  l.h., Gilder, Gray Wendell, Mason, f.b.  f.b., Somes

The practice this afternoon will be entirely secret, and although no definite plan has been arranged the work from now on will probably be mostly secret.