UNION MEETING LAST NIGHT

Proposed Changes in Constitution Provisionally Accepted--Final Meeting Tuesday.

At the meeting of the members of the Union, held in the Living Room, last night to amend the constitution, N. Kelley '06, presided and explained briefly the importance of the meeting. It is necessary that the amendments be accepted, posted in the Union for a week and then ratified at a second meeting to be held in the same place next Tuesday.

The necessity for altering the constitution to satisfy present conditions is due to the fact that it was originally drawn up without precedent in this country and without experience. Several previous attempts to alter and amend the constitution have failed owing to the failure to obtain a quorum at the meetings.

The chief revision made by the subcommittee of the House Committee is to centre the power, hitherto too comprehensive for such a body, in the hands of a new Governing Board, and to invest the duties of the now abolished Membership Committee in the House Committee. This board shall have all powers not especially assigned to the house or the library committees. The meeting unanimously voted to accept the proposed changes provisionally.

The fundamental changes are given below, the other alterations being for the most part in phrasing that does not materially affect the sense.

V. Standing Committees. Section 2 The Governing Board shall be elected annually, and shall be constituted as follows: four representatives from the College and Scientific School, two representatives from the Graduate Departments of the University, the President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer of the Union. The Governing Board shall make all rules for preserving order and relating to the use of the Club House. It may give permission for the use, on special occasions, of any hal or room that may not be reserved, but shall have no power to lease any part of the premises. The Board of Trustees may lease, at discretion, any part of the building. The Governing Board shall nominate candidates to be voted for at the annual election, and shall have the power to pass on names of candidates for Membership. Five members shall constitute a quorum. It shall provide for the general welfare of the Union and subject to the approval of the Board of Trustees shall exercise all powers not herein specifically assigned.

VIII. Dues. Section 1. The annual dues for an active member shall not exceed ten dollars; for an associate member the dues shall not exceed five dollars; and for a none-resident member the dues shall not exceed three dollars. The exact amounts of all annual dues shall be fixed by the Governing Board subject to the approval of the Board of Trustees. Section 2. Active, Associate and Nonresident memberships shall expire two months after the end of the fiscal year for which dues were paid.

For th benefit of those who will vote to ratify the amendments at the meeting next Tuesday, the entire revised constitution will be published in Saturday's Crimson.