President Eliot on "Engineers"

At the annual dinner of the Engineering Society last night, President Eliot spoke on "The Elements of Success in the Engineering Profession."

The successful engineer, he said, should possess endurance. He must have the power to work hard and persistently. Not only must the successful man have this power, but he should show it in his zeal to do disagreeable tasks. This trait always recommends a man to employers.

An engineer generally has to take charge of men, and in order to do this successfully, he should cultivate amiability and just sympathy--qualties that recommend a man to his subordinates.

As the surest road to success and distinction, every engineer should become master of one subject, however limited that may be. By the time he is 35 years old, he should know one subject better than anyone else. To do this he need not necessarily become narrow, for his sympathies can still be broad.

In closing, President Eliot emphasized the importance of hard, diligent work. A man generally succeeds, he said, in proportion to the intensity of his work. Intense and thorough work always has been and is today one of the best means of attaining professional success and personal happiness.