BROWN, 6; HARVARD, 5

Baseball Team Defeated by Superior Hitting.--New Line-Up Successful.

The University baseball team lost to Brown yesterday afternoon at Providence by a score of 6 to 5, in a game that was undecided until the last of the ninth inning. Heavy hitting by Brown was the chief cause of the defeat, which is shown by the fact that four of the six runs were earned, while the University team was continually aided by the loose fielding of the Brown players. With the score tied and two out, Paine won the game for Brown by a clean single over second base, that scored Hoye from third.

The University nine did not hit as well as on Saturday, and only once succeeded in bunching hits. The new line-up was a marked success. Stephenson and Simons accepted all their chances in the outfield, and Currier was fast and wide awake behind the bat. He held Greene well and threw accurately to the bases.

Greene was batted hard at critical moments. He did not field his position with much life, and missed a catch of a high bunt that should have been an easy double out.

Scoring started in the first of the third, when Leonard singled, and Stephenson followed with another good hit. McCall sent a short fly to the pitcher, but Dexter filled the bases by a fast drive to Jones, who fumbled the ball. Burr received a base on balls, forcing the first run, and a wild pitch alowed Stephenson and Dexter to score. In the same inning Paine and Tift singled for Brown, and Raymond followed with a home run that tied the score. In the last of the next inning Brown scored two more runs, on a single by Roye, an error by Greene, and Paine's long fly to Stephenson.

With the score 5 to 3 against them, the Harvard players again tied the score in the sixth inning. McCall singled and took second on Dennie's error. Simons reached second on an error by Elrod on which McCall scored. Harvey was safe on an error by the same man, and with Greene at bat, he and Simons worked a reckless double steal.

There was no further scoring until the ninth inning. Hoye bunted, but Burr did not cover first base. Hoye then stole second and third, and scored on a single by Paine, thus winning the game.

The summary:

HARVARD.  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Leonard, 3b.  4  1  3  1  3  1Stephenson, r.f.  4  1  1  3  0  0McCall, 2b.  4  1  1  3  1  0Dexter, l.f.  4  1  1  1  0  0Burr, 1b.  3  0  0  9  0  0Simons, c.f.  4  1  0  1  0  0Harvey, s.s.  4  0  0  1  2  0Greene, p.  3  0  0  1  2  1Currier, c.  4  0  0  6  2  0  --  --  --  --  --  --Totals,  34  5  6  *26  10  2BROWN.  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Hoye, 3b.  5  2  2  3  0  0Jones, s.s.  5  1  0  2  2  1Paine, c.  5  1  3  5  3  1Tift, p.  4  1  1  1  0  0Raymond, r.f.  3  1  1  1  0  1Dickinson, 2b.  2  0  0  2  3  0Elrod, 1b.  3  0  0  12  1  2Keen, l.f.  3  0  0  0  0  0Dennie, c.f.  2  0  0  0  0  1  --  --  --  --  --  --Totals,  32  6  7  **26  9