PRINCETON WON IN HOCKEY

Harvard Defeated 4 to 3.--Fast Game Undecided Till Last Minutes of Play.

The University hockey team lost its first game in four years last Saturday evening in New York, being defeated by Princeton by the score of 4 to 3. This was the third victory for Princeton this season and the second intercollegiate match for the University team.

Princeton won the game principally through effective checking, speedy skating especially in following back, and ability on the part of the forwards to cover their men. The University forwards found great difficulty in getting away with the puck, and were continually impeded in shooting by their opponents. The first half was uneventful compared with the second, and when, towards the end of the match the teams were alternating in the lead the contest was most exciting for the large number of spectators.

On the face-off at the start of the game the puck was kept around the Harvard goal for several minutes and it was only by Carpenter's excellent work that no score was made. Little of interest happened in the half until Newhall shot a clever goal on a pass from Townsend. For the remaining few minutes both teams tried hard to score, but the period ended with Harvard having the only goal.

Princeton started the second half by again forcing the play. The first score for Princeton was made just after a face-off near the Harvard goal, when, on a pass by Brush the puck hit Foster's stick and glanced into the net.

A few minutes later, by a clever shot from the side of the rink Chew put Princeton in the lead. Taking the puck on the next face-off the University forwards by good team play rushed the puck to Princeton's goal, Townsend making a score. Soon afterwards Chew again made a goal, and almost immediately Pell tied the score by a clever shot. With five minutes left both teams played desperately, and after several fast rushes by both sides Osborne suddenly knocked the puck into the goal, two minutes before the game ended.

The summary: HARVARD.  PRINCETON. Pell, l.e.  r.e., Brush, Coxe Townsend, l.c.  r.c., Osborne Rumsey, Leonard, r.c.  l.c., Chew Newhall, r.e.  l.e., Levis Foster, Briggs, c.p.  c.p., Zahniser Willetts, p.  p., Tenney Carpenter, g.  g., Chislett

Score--Princeton, 4; Harvard, 3. Goals--Chew 2, Newhall, Brush, Townsend, Pell, Osborne. Referees--C. G. Von Bermuth, Columbia, and K. Behr, Yale. Timekeeper--B. S. Litchfield '03. Time--20-minute halves.