Foreign Christian Association Work

For the information of members of the University who contribute each year toward the support of E. C. Carter '00, the representative of the Harvard Christian Association in India, and of others who are interested, the following brief account of his work is printed:

After serving for three years as the first graduate secretary of Phillips Brooks House, Mr. Carter went to India in the fall of 1902 to become a traveling secretary of the Young Men's Christian Association in northern India, working especially among students. The Harvard Christian Association made itself responsible for, and has since raised each year his personal salary of $800. During the first six months of his work in India he traveled about 16,000 miles, organizing new associations and developing existing ones. In the summer of 1903 he was advanced to the post of general secretary of the Indian National Council of Young Men's Christian Associations, and has since had direction of the whole association enterprise in India, Burmah and Ceylon. Much of his time is still spent in traveling, his mileage last year being nearly 32,000 miles. He has been instrumental in organizing many new organizations and in securing new buildings. Under his administration a large force of native workers has been set at work, and there are now in India 79 city and town, association and 35 student associations.

During last March and April Mr. Carter made a trip to England to confer with boards of directors of Indian railways about the starting of railway associations on their lines, to secure men and money for railway, army, and other branches of association work, and to represent the Indian National Council at the annual meeting of the World's Young Men's Christian Association at Geneva.