FAST FOOTBALL PRACTICE

Two Fifteen-Minute-Scrimmages.--First Team Scored Twice on Third.

The practice of the University football squad yesterday was hard and fast, owing to the excellent weather conditions. Brill and Parker were the only additions to the squad. Reynolds and Osborn were laid off for slight injuries.

Half an hour was devoted in the morning to elementary work, and the remainder of the time was spent in signal practice, six squads being formed for that purpose.

In the afternoon Coach Wrightington gave the men a blackboard demonstration of plays, which made the practice somewhat late. Unusual attention was paid to tackling the dummy, and considerable time was spent by the line in breaking through and blocking.

In the line-up, which lasted ten minutes, Means kicked off to Nichols, who ran the ball to the twenty-yard line. The first team then fumbled the ball, but recovered it immediately. After Nichols' punt was caught by Pell on the thirty-yard line, the first team proved slow and ragged on the defensive. With Means, Nesmith, and Hanley carrying the ball, it was advanced by the second eleven to the ten-yard line, and held for downs. Brill and Parker were now taken out and their positions filled by Russell and Fraser, respectively. Nichols took the ball for a gain of thirty yards, and was downed by Kernan on the forty-yard line. The first team then made repeated gains through the second's line. Means was taken from the second eleven to replace Nichols, and Leatherbee was put in for Means, Nesmith was replaced by Foster.

Noyes took the ball for a gain of twenty yards around right end and was downed by Kernan in a clean tackle on the seven-yard line. Kernan showed very promising qualities as a quarterback.

The line-up: FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. Blagden, l.e.  r.e., Shurtleff Mills, l.t.  r.t., Oveson Wilder, l.g.  r.g., White Cunniff, c.  c., Parker McFadon, r.g.  l.g., Pell Squires, r.t.  l.t., Brill Montgomery, r.e.  l.e., Lockwood Noyes, q.b.  q.b., Kernan Hurley, r.h.  l.h., Nesmith Nichols, l.h.  r.h., Means Guild, f.b.  f.b., Hanley