Interesting Lecture Delivered

Mr. S. C. K. Rutnam, A.M., gave an interesting address in the Living Room of the Union last night under the auspices of the Harvard Political Club, on "Present Political Conditions in India." H. M. Gilmore '08, president of the Political Club, presided and introduced the speaker. After the close of the address, at the request of the Democratic National Committee, Gilmore appointed a committee of the Political Club to co-operate with Democratic political clubs in other colleges, looking toward the formation of an intercollegiate Democratic league. The members constituting the Harvard committee are S. Bowles, Jr., '08, H. S. Blair '08, and J. I. Boyes '10.

Mr. Rutnam appeared in the picturesque native garb of his country, then gave a discussion of the conditions in which India is placed at the present time through the neglect and oppression of the English government.

The state in which India is placed at the present time, Mr. Rutnam said, is the same as that in which America was in relation to England at the time of the Revolution. "Taxation without representation" is the complaint of the Hindoos, but as the present 305,000,000 population of India exceeds the 3,000,000 of this country in colonial times, so does the greatness of the injustice in India exceeds injustice of the American oppression.

India contributes $375,000,000 annually to the expenses of the British government and over one-third of this is spent on the army which oppresses the natives. Only $6,000,000 annually goes to the education of the people. Such a drain on the finances of the country is the cause of the annual famines, and indirectly of the plagues, by which India is decimated. The Hindoos are discriminated against unfairly on account of their color; the Civil Service is closed to them, as well as all commands in the army.

At present there is a growing unrest in the country, due to the agitation aroused by the educated Hindoos for a share in the government. As yet the movement has not reached great proportions, but there is danger of a repetition of the great massacre of 1857 if there is no immediate redress of the grievances which the natives have against the English governing party.