POOR WORK IN SCRIMMAGE

No Score.--First Team Weak Both on Offense and Defense.

Although neither team scored in the twenty minute scrimmage between the University and second elevens yesterday afternoon, the former showed up very poorly. Their line was not able to withstand the attack of the second's backs, and on the offensive they could not gain consistently. The second once rushed the ball to the University's 18-yard line, after gaining steadily through guard and centre from the 45-yard line. On the 18-yard line, however, the University held, and then worked the ball down to the second's 4-yard line. Here the second held and got the ball on downs, when time was called.

The first team's line was weak in holding on punts, and as a result some of Burr's and Starr's frequent kicks were blocked, generally by Osborne. Neither team seemed able to gain around the opposing ends. Starr and Rand were usually thrown for losses on right end plays by Morse or Osborne, and the second halfbacks could not gain around Forster or Macdonald. White played an excellent game for the second, and their steady gains through guard and centre were due to his hard line-bucking. Towards the end of the scrimmage Fish and Inches changed places, as they did Tuesday in order to give Fish harder defensive work than he would get on the first eleven. Kennard also played on the second on the defense for the same purpose. Parker's recent absence at left guard is due to the fact that he has a lame back. He will probably be able to play against Springfield on Saturday.

The teams lined up as follows: UNIVERSITY ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. Forster, l.e.  r.e., Cooper Burr, l.t.  r.t., Inches, Fish Gilmore, l.g.  r.g., Davis Grant, c.  c., Dore Robinson, r.g.  l.g., Plumb Fish, Inches, r.t.  l.t., Osborne, Kennard Macdonald, r.e.  l.e., Moore Starr, q.b.  q.b., Cate Rand, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Gregory Blumer, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Graydon Gray, f.b.  f.b., White