FOOTBALL WITH BATES AT 4

New Men in Harvard Line-up.--Good Practice Yesterday.

The University football team will play the last mid-week game of the season in the Stadium this afternoon at 4 o'clock against Bates. Last year, Bates was very weak and was defeated 27 to 6; scoring their touchdown by the advantageous use of the forward pass and the quarterback kick. The Bates team this year is fast, but light, and the heavier University team should have little difficulty in gaining through the line. Cobb at quarterback, and Brown and Cummings, ends, proved very clever at the new game last year and repeatedly outplayed the Harvard forwards with their double passes and onside kicks.

Several more changes have been made in the Harvard line-up. M. C. Peirce and Bird will fill the end positions today in place of Kennard and Macdonald. Peirce, who played end on the Freshman team last year, is a natural football player, being fast and following the ball well. Bird has also made a good showing at end in the scrimmages lately. He has been given special attention by the coaches, and seems to have the makings of a first-class player. Hear seems to be the leading candidate for right tackle at present. He has the physical qualifications, but will require a great deal of coaching. Rand is being given a try-out at right half. He is a fast and an able back, and with a little more weight would be valuable. At fullback, Mason will play in place of Apollonio, who is out of the game temporarily with a slight injury. For the old style, line-plunging game, Mason makes an excellent fullback, his strength, weight, and hard-fighting qualities all counting in his favor.

The teams will line up this afternoon as follows: HARVARD.  BATES. M. C. Peirce, l.e.  r.e., Cummings Burr, l.t.  r.t., Schumacher Parker, l.g.  r.g., Carroll Grant, c.  c., French W. Peirce, r.g.  l.g., Cochrane Hoar, r.t.  l.t., McKenna Bird, r.e.  l.e. Brown Newhall or Starr, q.b.  q.b., Cobb Lockwood, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Bridges Rand, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Frazer Mason, f.b.  f.b., Sargent

In the preliminary practice yesterday, Coach Cutts gave the line men a stiff breaking through drill, particular attention being devoted to W. Peirce, in order to accustom him to his new position at guard. Burr and Parker kicked several goals from placement from the 35-yard line with a hard wind blowing across the field. Burr and Lockwood also punted to the backs.

A 30-minute scrimmage was held between the first and second teams in which the first scored three times with many substitutes in the line-up, some of the regular men going in towards the end. The second was given the ball on the first's 20-yard line, but on the third play, Fish intercepted a forward pass and ran 95 yards for a touchdown. After the subsequent kickoff, the first rushed the ball straight down the field, losing and regaining it once. Mason made the touchdown after a series of line plunges. The final touchdown was made by Bird after catching a long forward pass.

The line-ups were as follows:

FIRST TEAM.  SECOND TEAM.Houston, Blumer, l.e.  r.e., ClarkFish, Burr, l.t.  r.t., BlanchardGilmore, Parker, l.g.  r.g., CoburnGrant, Nourse, c.  c., DoreBarney, Peirce, r.g.  l.g., WestInches, Hoar, r.t.  l.t., GilbertForster, Bird, r.e.  l.e., Crocker, Ver WiebeNewhall, Starr, q.b.  q.b., GalattiCutting, Lockwood, Wendell, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Harding, ParkeGilbert, Rand, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Gilder, WendellBrennan, Mason, Waterbury, f.b.  f.b., Gregor

The line-ups were as follows: