HARVARD DEFEATED IN GREAT GAME

University Team Remarkable Individually.--Ends Invincible.

Yale defeated the University eleven last Saturday by the score of 12 to 0. The victory may be credited chiefly to the perfection of the team work which the visiting team possessed. Yale's players as individuals were no better than Harvard's, nor did they play as brilliantly, but her concentrated attack and ability to push the ball over the goal line when once within striking distance, was what brought Yale out of the contest victorious. It was a game in which eleven individuals played hard and well against a more perfectly working, machine-like team, equipped with an offense that was able to gain ten yards in three downs by means of straight football.

The improvement which the Harvard team showed over the previous games was wonderful. There was no lack of aggressiveness and of fierce, hard playing up to the very end of the game. Where Harvard had been considered weak, she was strong, and those players who were known to be strong, put up their very best games. No scrimmage had been held since the Dartmouth game; but the effects of the coaches' work was everywhere evident, and above everything else the change that Coach Campbell had brought about in the ends was strikingly shown. It had been the aim of the coaches throughout the year to develop the ends, and the way in which the latter played on Saturday proved conclusively that the effort had been successful. Their tackling, as was that of the whole team, was as fierce and hard as has been seen in the Stadium for some time.

Wendell, Newhall and Macdonald played the most brilliant games, for the University team. Wendell's 27-yard end run just before the close of the game was, except for Brides's run in the first half, the longest run of the day. Throughout the game his hard running was a feature. Newhall's work was exceptionally good. In spite of the bandage over his eye, he caught and ran back punts almost perfectly, and his generalship was excellent. Although not Harvard's regular punter, he was called on to do most of the kicking on account of Burr's being slightly overtrained and slow in getting his punts off. Newhall's punts were not as long as Coy's, but the shorter distance enabled the ends to cover them effectively. Macdonald's playing exceeded all expectations. In previous games he had been slow in sizing up the plays of opposing teams, and his tackling had been weak, but on Saturday he was always ready for Yale's fake kick runs, and he tackled hard and surely. Starr also filled his position well and, as usual, his tackling was his strong point. From tackle to tackle it was a stand-off between the two lines on the offense, with a slight advantage in favor of Yale in defensive work. Parker, although suffering from his old injuries, played throughout the first half and was in every line play. Hoar, who took his place, played and aggressive and strong game. Grant, at centre, frequently broke through the Yale line and stopped end and tackle plays. Pierce put up the best game that he has ever played and repeatedly had the jump on Cooney. Burr was somewhat overtrained but he held his own well with Captain Biglow. Apollonio did some magnificent secondary defensive work behind the line, and was frequently called upon to stop the Yale backs in their heavy mass plays. Rand also played a good defensive game, and interfered well for Wendell's end runs, but could not gain ground himself consistently.

For the Yale team, Captain Biglow at right tackle played the best game. He was down under every punt and did much of the tackling, and he opened up good holes for Foster and the Yale backs on the offense. Alcott gained lots of ground by his beautiful catching of forward passes. Coy did not play as brilliantly as usual. His punts were sent off quickly and for good distance, and he usually gained his distance through the line when called upon. Brides and Philbin made some very pretty runs, usually just outside of tackle.

The First Half.

T. Jones received Burr's kick-off and ran the ball back 10 yards to the 30-yard line. Coy punted outside to Harvard's 25-yard line. On a fake kick Apollonio gained three yards through centre. Newhall dropped back to punt, but the Yale team, expecting a fake play, were taken off their guard and Macdonald, by fast work, recovered the ball on Yale's 20-yard line. In two plays Wendell gained only two yards and Parker tried a goal from the field, but the ball went to Jones on the 6-yard line.

Brides broke through between left tackle and guard for a 30-yard gain. Bomar followed with five yards; and on a tandem play Brides gained nine yards more. Peirce stopped Bomar for no gain, and Coy gained two yards through tackle. Alcott recovered Coy's onside kick on Harvard's 24-yard line, and it looked as if Yale was off for a touchdown. But Coy and Bomar gained only four yards in two plays, and Bomar dropped back for a goal from placement. The ball went wide and Burr punted out.

T. Jones caught the ball and carried it to the middle line, starting Yale off again for the Harvard goal. Bomar's onside kick was recovered on Harvard's 33-yard line, after Rand and Newhall had missed the ball as it bounced along the ground. In three plays Coy advanced to the 20-yard line, but Yale was penalized 15 yards for holding and immediately afterwards, 15 more for a forward pass which hit the ground. With the hall in the middle of the field, T. Jones tried Harvard's right end on a fake kick, but Macdonald tackled him for a 20-yard loss.

Coy punted to Wendell who fumbled when tackled on Harvard's 50-yard line and Bomar fell on the ball Brides gained one yard on a fake kick and a forward pass gained eight more. Coy kicked to Newhall, who was downed on the 10-yard line. Rand gained but one yard through left tackle and Newhall punted to Jones, who was tackled by Macdonald on Harvard's 50-yard line. Brides gained five yards through right tackle and then three yards through guard. Dunbar caught Jones's short forward pass on Harvard's 38-yard line, and Yale tried another pass but was penalized 15 yards for its hitting the ground. Coy punted to Wendell, who ran back 20 yards to Harvard's 37-yard line. Harvard was penalized 15 yards for offside play. Wendell gained five yards around end and Apollonio bucked centre for two more. Fish recovered Newhall's onside kick on Harvard's 50-yard line, and Wendell followed this with a run around right end for 15 yards, but Harvard lost all the distance for holding. Rand gained three yards around end to the middle of the field.

Newhall punted to Jones, who made a fair catch on Yale's 30-yard line. Coy bucked centre for three yards and Jones tried to circle Macdonald's end on a fake kick, but was thrown for a 10-yard loss. Coy punted to Newhall, who was downed on Harvard's 40-yard line. Wendell ran to the centre line, but as Rand and Apollonio gained only two yards in as many plays, Newhall punted to Jones. The latter's fair catch was interfered with and Harvard was penalized 15 yards. Coy punted to Newhall, who ran back 15 yards, and on the next play tried a fake kick which lost five yards. Wendell gained three yards through right tackle and Burr punted to Jones. Bomar broke through right tackle for ten yards, but Harvard's line held firm in the next two plays. T. Jones made a short kick which H. Jones recovered on Harvard's 23-yard line, thus starting Yale off for her first touchdown.

Yale Scores First Touchdown.

Philbin, who replaced Bomar, gained 10 yards around end, but Yale would have been held for downs, after the next three line plays, had not a short penalty been inflicted for taking out time for the fourth time. With it first down, Coy gained one yard through centre and on the next play scored. Biglow kicked the goal. Score--Yale, 6; Harvard, 0.

Burr kicked off to Jones, who was downed on the 10-yard line. Coy punted out of bounds on the 35-yard line. A forward pass, Wendell to Starr, netted 20 yards, Parker then had two tries for goals from placement blocked, but both times the ball was recovered. Jones caught Newhall's forward pass and by clever dodging ran back 20 yards, but fumbled when tackled fiercely by Newhall. Apollonio fell on the ball as time was called.

The Second Half.

At the beginning of the second half, Hoar had been substituted for Parker. Biglow kicked off to Burr, who ran back 10 yards, but Yale was offside and Biglow kicked again to Newhall, who was downed on Harvard's 35-yard line. Apollonio made four yards on a fake kick and Wendell, working the same play, gained 20 yards around end. Newhall punted to Jones, who was tackled by Hoar on Yale's 10-yard line. Philbin ran for 20 yards through tackle before being downed from behind by Starr. In two plays Brides and Philbin gained eight yards. After Foster had replaced Paige, Coy punted to Newhall who was downed in his tracks. Harvard was penalized 15 yards for holding on Wendell's end run, and, as a fake kick resulted in no gain, Newhall punted to Jones. As Jones was tackled he made a quick pass to Coy, who gained a few yards before being tackled by Starr.

With Foster back and carrying the ball, Yale made 12 yards in two plays, but Grant tackled Philbin for no gain on an off-tackle play, and Rand secured Coy's onside kick. Newhall lost on a quarterback run and so made an onside kick which H. Jones recovered on Yale's 40-yard line. From this point Yale rushed the ball straight down the field for a touchdown. A double pass, Coy to Philbin, gained to the middle line. Yale gained nine yards through centre, three through tackle; and two more through centre. Alcott secured Jones's forward pass on the 35-yard line. Foster gained five yards through centre and Philbin added five more through right tackle. A mass play netted two yards, and a forward pass, Jones to Foster, gained 10 more. Philbin was downed by Newhall after gaining five yards through tackle. Coy gained three yards through right guard and made it first down a foot from Harvard's goal. On the next play Coy scored through left guard and Biglow kicked the goal. Score--Yale, 12; Harvard, 0.

Before the next kick-off, Lockwood replaced Rand. Burr kicked off to Jones, but Harvard was offside and Burr kicked again to Biglow, who was downed on the 35-yard line. In three plays, Philbin and Foster gained nine yards through the line, and Coy punted to Newhall, who was downed by Biglow on Harvard's 28-yard line. Apollonio gained five yards and Wendell made an onside kick to Alcott. Philbin tried right end but was thrown by Starr for no gain. A double pass, followed by a forward pass; put the ball on Harvard's 20-yard line. Brides then a gained two yards through guard, but Jones's forward pass went to Grant. Two yards were lost on Lockwood's fumble so Newhall kicked to Jones, who was downed in his tracks. Coy returned the kick to Newhall, who made a beautiful run of 20 yards through an open field. Lockwood gained five yards to Harvard's 50-yard line. Apollonio and Wendell gained 14 yards in three plays and then the latter made an onside kick which H. Jones secured on Yale's 25-yard line. Philbin failed to gain on a fake kick and Coy punted to Newhall, who run to the middle of the field. "A forward pass, Newhall to Grant, gained two yards. Wheatou replaced Philbin at this point. Wendell lost five yards on a split play, and Newhall kicked to Coy on Yale's 20-yard line. Here Starr was replaced by Browne. Jones failed to gain and Coy punted to Wendell, who gained five yards around right end. Inches was substituted for Fish at this point.

Wendell's Great Run.

Two line plays gained eight yards and6Courtesy of the Boston Globe.DIAGRAM OF THE YALE GAME.