Changes in Admission Examinations

The Faculty has decided to make certain alterations in the regulations relating to admission examinations. Under the present system, the requirements in elementary Latin consist of an alternative examination in the first four books of Virgil's Eneid or selected myths from Ovid's Metamorphoses. To this is to be added the further option of substituting "selected speeches of Cicero." This last is defined in a note as follows: "The speeches of Cicero referred to in the definition of elementary Latin are the speeches on the Manilian Law, Catiline, Archias, and Marcellus."

With regard to the requirements in advanced Latin, the change comprises the omission of one of the three parts which have heretofore made up the examination paper. This part, which is marked (b) in the University Catalogue for 1906-7, reads: "an examination (which may include translation) on Cicero's four speeches against Catiline and the Defence of Archias; with questions on the subject-matter, the life of Cicero, and his position in literature." Two years' notice will be given of any change in the regulations as they now stand.

It was also decided to withdraw Final Honors in Fine Arts after 1909.