SUMMER SCHOOL FOR 1907

Term to Extend from July 2 to August 9.--Announcement of Courses.

The Summer School for 1907 will open on Tuesday, July 2, and will close Friday, August 9. The courses given in the Summer School are designed primarily for teachers, or for persons preparing to teach, but are open without formal examination to all qualified persons. Some of the courses may be counted, towards the degree of A.B. or S.B. by students in the College or Scientific School.

In most courses the classes will meet five times a week during the six weeks of the term, and as a rule each student takes only one course; but there are certain combinations of two courses which may be taken together. The class-room periods vary from one to two hours in courses conducted by lectures or recitations, but are usually longer in drawing or laboratory courses.

In some departments courses are given in sequence, so that students may in successive years take a series of courses in a special field. The tuition fee varies from $20 to $30 in different courses; and when more than one course is taken, the full fee is charged for each course. As far as necessary all the resources of the University in libraries, museums, laboratories, and reading rooms are at the service of the Summer School, including the text-book library collected by the Department of Education.

Following is the list of courses proposed for 1907:

Anatomy, Physiology, and Hygiene--Introductory course for teachers and students.

Anthropology--Introductory course in general anthropology for teachers and students.

Architecture--Two courses: history of European architecture to about 1000 A.D.; history of European architecture from 1000 A. D. to close of Renaissance.

Astronomy--Introductory course for teachers and students.

Botany--Two courses: the structure, physiology, and oecology of flowering plants; advanced course in morphology, histology, and oecology of flowering plants.

Chemistry--Four courses: elementary theoretical and descriptive chemistry; quantitative analysis; organic chemistry; research work.

Education--Three courses: general principles of education and courses of study; organization and administration of schools and school systems; applications of psychology to teaching.

English--Nine courses: elementary composition; advanced composition; second advanced composition; argumentative composition; college admission requirements in English; Anglo-Saxon; Shakespeare; English literature of the eighteenth century; English literature of the nineteenth century.

Fine Arts--Three courses: drawing and painting in representation; history and development of ancient art; history and principles of the fine arts of the middle ages.

French--Intermediate course for teachers.

Geography--Introductory course for teachers and students.

Geology--Four courses: elementary geology; advanced field work, three courses.

German--Intermediate course for teachers.

Government--Two courses: civil government of the United States, Great Britain, Germany, France, etc.; municipal government in the United States and principal European countries.

Greek--Two courses: elementary Greek for beginners; second course for teachers and students.

History--Three courses: Roman history; mediaeval European history; American history.

Latin--Two courses: general course for teachers--material methods for college entrance requirements; the life and works of Virgil for teachers.

Mathematics--Five courses: advanced algebra; solid geometry; trigonometry; plane analytic geometry; differential and integral calculus.

Music--Two courses: principles of music--harmony and counterpoint; the appreciation of music, analytic study of masterpieces.

Nature Study--Course for teachers of nature study in the grades.

Philosophy--Two courses: general introduction to philosophy with reference to the interests of teachers; introduction to ethics with reference to the interests of teachers.

Physical Education--Eight courses: theory, four courses; practice, four courses.

Physics--Two courses: a laboratory course in physics,--especially appropriate to secondary school work; a laboratory course in college physics,--selected experiments in general physics of as advanced grade as can be handled without the use of calculus.

Psychology--Two courses: descriptive psychology--principles, methods, and values; applied psychology--lectures, laboratory, exercises, discussions and readings.

Public Speaking and Reading--Four courses: voice training; course in reading; platform speaking; oral reading of English classics.

Shopwork--Four courses: chipping, filing, and fitting; blacksmithing; pattern making and foundry practice; machine-shop practice.

Spanish--Advanced course in grammar, reading, and translation.

Surveying--Three courses: plane surveying; geodetic surveying; railroad surveying.

The announcement of the School containing description of the courses showing their aim and scope, the number of exercises, the hours, the fee, and the instruction in each course, as well as information about expenses, reduced railway fares, and a list of private boarding and lodging houses will be sent on application to the chairman of the Summer School, Professor J. L. Love. 16 University Hall. The committee in charge of the Summer School is made up as follows: Professor Love, chairman, Professor Hall, Professor Royce, Professor Hanus, Dean Hurlbut, Professor Ford, and Professor Chase.