THE FOOTBALL SITUATION.

The first inquiries made by undergraduates upon reaching Cambridge in the fall are in regard to the football prospects. We are at this time of the year beginning our athletic calendar with a clean sheet, and every effort is centered upon securing a victory in the first and, from a popular standard, the most important of our major sports. However much absorption in athletic affairs is frowned upon by those in authority, they are, and, we believe should be, powerful factors in drawing the University together.

This year the football season promises to be peculiarly interesting. The new rules are entering upon their second year's trial, and although they proved generally satisfactory last year, it could hardly be expected that one season's experience should develop all the possibilities offered by the more radical changes.

From a Harvard view point the situation promises an unusual amount of interest. A new coach is taking up the task where Coach Reid left off. By two years of untiring effort Mr. Reid succeeded in establishing an efficient system, although judged by the results of important games, its effect was not immediate. We understand that Mr. Crane does not differ radically from his predecessor in his conduct of the squad. He is, moreover, fortunate in his assistants, several of whom are familiar with Mr. Reid's methods. It is in the choice of such men that a head coach has one of his best opportunities to help the team, for it is on them that the players must, depend for the individual instruction which is so important at the beginning. The squad seems to be reasonably strong, but unpardonable neglect of scholastic responsibilities will deprive it of several valuable men.

Although the confidence of the players in their coach will be an invaluable asset in developing a winning team, it is none the less important that every member of the University should feel the same confidence. A general atmosphere of intelligent and enthusiastic interest will do much toward accomplishing the desired end, and we feel sure that the coaches and players are alike deserving of the heartiest support which can be accorded them.