First Cross Country Run Tuesday

Cross country running in preparation for the fall work will begin Tuesday afternoon. For this preliminary practice candidates for the University team and all men interested in cross country and long distance running will be called out by Captain M. S. Crosby '08 of the University cross country team, and a short run will be taken.

The work during the fall will consist of runs two or three times a week and occasional long walks. Toward the end of October trials for the University team will be held, followed by active preparation for the dual run with Massachusetts Institute of Technology and for the annual intercollegiate run at Princeton. Twelve men will be chosen for the run with the Institute of Technology, and for the intercollegiate run the number of men to be entered has been increased from seven to nine, and the number whose points score from four to six.

There is an unusual opportunity for new men this year, as only two members of last year's team, Captain M. S. Crosby '08 and H. F. Hadden '09, are now eligible. The most promising candidates from last year's Freshman track team are R. E. Dole, J. R. Coolidge, and C. Lanier. In addition to the runs of the University team, there will be a handicap run and a consolation run for those who do not make the University team.

Coach Lathrop will direct the training of the candidates and special attention will be given to new men.