Tufts Defeated In Basketball

The University basketball team defeated Tufts last night in the Hemenway Gymnasium by the score of 20 to 11. The game was exceptionally fast, but was inclined to be rough, especially towards the end, when considerable tripping was indulged in by both teams. In the absence of Fish Browne was shifted to centre and S. Brown took the latter's position at left guard. The University team showed much improvement in its style of play over the earlier games and maintained a safe lead after the first few minutes of play. The defensive work was good and the passing and shooting accurate. Tufts relied altogether too much on long shots.

The first score of the game was made by Kimball of Tufts on a basket from the floor, but Brooks soon retaliated by scoring two lucky goals on long shots and placed Harvard in the lead. The half ended with the score of 15 to 6 in Harvard's favor. In the latter part of the second half the University line-up was somewhat weakened on the offence by the use of several substitutes. For Harvard, Brooks played a brilliant game, shooting four goals from the floor and blocking many of Tufts' chances to score. Currie also was up to his usual standard. For Tufts Getchell and Kimball excelled.

The summary: HARVARD.  TUFTS. Currie, l.f.  r.f., Seede Allen, Scribner, r.f.  l.f., Dickinson, Knight Browne, Wyman, c.  c., Getchell S. Brown, Almy, l.g.  r.g., Wallace, Hatch Brooks, r.g.  l.g., Kimball

Score--Harvard, 20; Tufts, 11. Goals from floor--Brooks 4, Browne 2, Currie 2, Brown, Getchell 2, Kimball 2, Seede. Goals from fouls--Currie 2, Seede. Referee--McGrall of Dartmouth. Time--20-minute halves.