TRIP A GREAT SUCCESS

Musical Clubs Given a Splendid Reception in the Cities Visited.

Last Sunday the members of the University Glee, Mandolin and Banjo Clubs returned from the most successful western trip that the Harvard Musical Clubs have ever taken. The Clubs made a distinctly favorable impression in every city they visited, and the men were enthusiastic over the great reception which was given them.

The Clubs reached Cincinnati at noon on Monday, December 23, and were met by a number of graduates, who took the men in automobiles to the Cincinnati Country Club, where they were guests of the Harvard Club at luncheon. After luncheon the men disbanded for the afternoon, some going to the University Club, the hospitality of which was extended to them, and others visiting the various objects of interest in the city. The first concert was given in the evening at Odeon Hall before a small but appreciative audience. After the concert, a reception was held in honor of the Clubs at the Queen City Club, after which the men went to the Country Club, where a ball was given by Mrs. Thomas Allen.

They left the same night for St. Louis, where they arrived at noon on Tuesday, and were driven to the Southern Hotel. In the afternoon a tea was given by Mrs. Daniel Nugent, which, like everything else on the trip, was a great success. The concert in the evening was one of the best that the Clubs have ever given, and the large audience that nearly filled the Odeon was very enthusiastic. Some difficulty, however, was experienced in getting the men on the stage promptly because of the greater attraction in the boxes. The concert was followed by a smoker given at the University Club by the Harvard Club of St. Louis.

Christmas Day was spent in St. Louis. After the customary St. Louis Christmas breakfast of egg-nogg, which the men enjoyed without "having to be shown," the members of the Clubs were the guests at luncheon of Mr. and Mrs. George D. Markham at the Country Club. In the centre of the table was a Christmas tree, hung with a large number of little red stockings, which were later distributed to the guests. After luncheon there was dancing for about half an hour, followed by a hurried departure for the city, where afternoon tea was served at Mrs. Edward Mallinckrodt's. In the evening the men saw Raymond Hitchcock in "A Yankee Tourist."

At 8 the next morning the Clubs arrived in Chicago and spent the forenoon in sightseeing. After luncheon they attended a tea and dance given for them by Mrs. Walter C. Larned. The concert in the evening at Orchestra Hall was the crowning success of the whole trip. An audience of two thousand completely filled the hall, and gave the Clubs as hearty a welcome as they have ever received. Every number was encored, and the Glee Club Quartet was received even more enthusiastically than ever before. The concert was followed by a smoker at the University Club, and a cotillion given by Mrs. Logan.

The men left at 3 A. M. for Detroit, where they arrived at noon, and were entertained at a very enjoyable luncheon at the Detroit Country Club by Mr. Frederick Alger '99. Special trolley cars then conveyed them to tea at Mrs. C. H. Hodges'. After a successful concert in the evening at Strasburg's Academy, there was a dance until midnight, and then a smoker at the University Club.

The next morning the Clubs reached Niagara Falls, where they took the gorge-ride and visited Goat Island and other sights of interest. They arrived in Buffalo in the afternoon, and attended a tea given by Mrs. Sprague. The concert in the evening at the Twentieth Century Club was one of the most successful of the trip, and what the Harvard men present lacked in numbers they made up in enthusiasm. The hall was elaborately decorated with crimson bunting and Harvard flags, and the audience encored the numbers repeatedly. A reception in honor of the Clubs was held after the concert at the Saturn Club.

After this concert the men came home by way of the Michigan Central Railroad. The travelling schedule of the trip was arranged by M. B. Whitney '08 and J. Curtiss '09, and the details of the concerts by the local Harvard Clubs