Exposition of Esperanto Last Night

M. Edmund Privat of Geneva, Switzerland, gave an interesting talk on "Esperanto" in the Assembly Room of the Union last evening under the auspices of the Esperanto Club.

Esperanto was born, said M. Privat, in a little Prussian village where a boy named Zamenhof lived about the middle of the last century. This boy saw the need of a universal language because of strife and misunderstanding that arose between people of his native village who spoke four different languages. When he grew up, he formulated an artificial language, Esperanto, but met with little success until 21 years ago. Since then, interest in the new language has grown steadily, and today there are over 700 Esperanto societies and more than 400 magazines spreading the language over the world.

The aim of the Esperantists who are looking ahead and see the needs of the world because of new nations and languages that are constantly coming into prominence, is to spread interest in their language until legislatures pass laws requiring that Esperanto be taught in the public schools. Esperanto, it is claimed, will promote a friendly feeling among people of different nationalities, will facilitate travel and will be the most effective means of bringing about universal peace.

Further information with regard to Esperanto may be obtained by writing to the American Esperanto Association, Boulevard Station, Boston.