HARVARD DEFEATED TECH.

Basketball Game Won in Extra Periods, 22-20.--Little Team Play.

In a remarkably close game the University basketball team defeated the Massachusetts Institute of Technology last night by a score of 22 to 20. The University team's poor work in shooting goals from fouls, only four out of 13 attempts proving successful, prevented them from winning by a wider margin. At the end of the first half the score stood 12 to 6 in favor of Technology. In this period the University team displayed little team work and was clearly outplayed.

In the second half the situation was reversed and Harvard scored 12 points to Technology's 6. This left an 18-18 tie at the end of the game. It was then decided to play a five-minute period, During this period Brooks and Hargraves both scored goals from the field and another tie, 20-20, resulted.

The referee then announced that the first team to score two points would win. After seven minutes of extremely close play, Allen made a goal from the field, ending the game.

The weakest feature of the University team was its lack of team work. Brooks easily played the best game, though at times he left his man entirely uncovered. Captain Broun, who injured his knee in a practice game before the holidays, will be out of the game for some time to come.

Before the beginning and between the halves of the University game the second basketball team defeated the second Technology team by a score of 17 to 15. The second team line-up was as follows: Mossman, l.f.; Carlisle, r.f.; Hickey, c.; Broun, l.g.; Binda, r.g.

The summary: HARVARD.  M. I. T. Curie, l.f.  r.f., Lamont Allen, r.f.  l.f., Nichols Browne, c.  c., Wentworth Almy, l.g.  r.g., Cahill Brooks, r.g.  l.g., Hargraves

Score--Harvard, 22; M. I. T., 20. Goals from floor--Cahill 5, Brooks 4, Allen 2, Curie 2, Hargraves 2, Wentworth 2, Almy. Goals from fouls--Curie 2, Cahill 2, Allen 2. Referee--Grebenstein of Dartmouth. Scorer--Whitmore, M. I. T.