Trial Tournament for Chess Team

The Harvard Chess Club began its annual tournament last Monday to choose a team of ten men to play with Yale. The matches, which are to continue till the end of the week, are being held in the new rooms of the club at Grays 20. Thirty-five candidates handed in their names, seven of these being men who were on the team which beat Yale last year. The men are divided into sections of six, in each of which a round robin tournament is being played. The two best from each section will be retained, and from these the team that is to play Yale will be chosen.

For five successive years the team has defeated Yale, last year's score being 6 to 4. This year the prospects of a good team for the tournament are very favorable. The match will be held in New Haven on November 20, the night before the football game.

A tournament has also been arranged with the Metropolitan Chess League of Boston to which two teams of five men will be sent. Medals will be presented to the members of the team, who play in either of the matches. These medals are purchased from a fund donated by A. C. White '02.

The seven candidates from last year's team are: E. R. Brown, D. B. Childs, J. L. Clark, M. A. Driscoll, E. H. Gruening, K. S. Johnson, W. W. Parshley.