1912 DEFEATED BROWN

Both Touchdowns in Second Half.--Run by Frothingham a Feature.

In its last game before that with Yale on November 14, the Freshman football team defeated the Brown freshmen Saturday by the score of 12 to 0. The play of both teams and especially that of Harvard, was marred by fumbling. The Brown backs could at no time gain consistently. Pierce and Frothingham for the Freshmen, and Tewksbury and Greenwood for Brown did the best work. The teams played very evenly in the first half, the ball remaining near the middle of the field. Neither team was able to advance the ball any distance, except at one time, when Frothingham and Pierce each made 10 yards on end runs.

At the beginning of the second half, Brown recovered a punt on Harvard's 20-yard line, and Greenwood tried a dropkick, which failed, the ball going to Harvard on its own 15-yard line. Frothingham made a long run around right end to the centre of the field, but an onside kick gave the ball to Brown on its own 25-yard line. Brown fumbled on the next play and Knapp recovered the ball for Harvard on Brown's 5-yard line, whence Pierce scored. Frothingham kicked the goal. The Freshmen scored their second touchdown by 75 yards of straight rushing. Pierce made a twenty-yard run to Brown's 20-yard line, from which point Pierce scored in two plays. Frothingham kicked the goal. After the kick-off Harvard gained rapidly, and had carried the ball into Brown's territory in five plays when time was called.

The summary: HARVARD 1912.  BROWN 1912. Peine, l.e.,  r.e., Tewksbury, Fletcher Dewey, l.t.  r.t., Larkin Fisher, l.g.  r.g., Fisher Huntington, Knapp, c.  c., Wilson Strong, r.g.  l.g., Miller Gaddis, r.t.  l.t., Keppel Smith, r.e.  l.e., Leith, Hull Potter, Wigglesworth, q.b.  q.b., Greenwood Frothingham, l.h.b.,  r.h.b., Orcutt Pierce, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Adams Winston, f.b.  f.b., Case

Score--Harvard 1912, 12; Brown 1912, 0. Touchdowns--Pierce, Winston. Goals--Frothingham, 2. Referee--G. N. Bankhart, of Dartmouth. Umpire--A. Staff, of Brown. Field judge--W. P. McGrail, of Dartmouth. Linesmen--Hull, of Brown, and C. Amory '12. Time--20 minute halves.