HARVARD, 17; CARLISLE, O

Team Gained at Will.--Carlisle's Only Try at Field Goal Blocked.

The University football team defeated the Carlisle Indian eleven Saturday afternoon by the score of 17 to 0. Harvard was fast and aggressive both on defence and offence, and would have scored on further occasions had it not been for penalties. The Indians were at no time dangerous, and lost their best chance to score when Thorpe's place-kick was blocked on Harvard's 28-yard line. There were only three times when Carlisle got within the 30-yard line. Two of the touchdowns came in the first half. Cutler caught a punt on Harvard's 35-yard line. Browne made nine yards through right tackle, and a series of line plunges brought the ball to the opponents' 46-yard line. MacKay recovered Cutler's onside kick on the 22-yard line, and Corbett, with splendid interference by White and Cutler, went through right tackle for a touchdown. MacKay missed the goal. The second score was made at the end of the half, after Cutler had received the ball in midfield. Corbett and White in a series of line plunges carried the ball to the 4-yard line, where Corbett was substituted by Leslie, and with the aid of a fresh man White was pushed through centre across the Indians' line. The final touchdown was made after rushing the whole length of the field. Harvard held Carlisle for downs on the 2-yard line, and with the aid of a forty-eight-yard end run by Cutting, and a forward pass of sixteen yards to Fish, made another touchdown. White, who had been making steady gains, was substituted by Smith just before Leslie went across the line. MacKay kicked both goals.

Constantly aggressive, and for the greater part of the time in their opponents' territory, the University team should have scored again. Three times Harvard reached the Indians' 5-yard line only to be put back, twice for off-side work and once for holding. The University team was splendid on the defence, blocking Thorpe's place-kick and allowing but little gain through the line. When the Indian team had rushed the ball to the 2-yard line, they were unable to gain again and lost the ball on downs. Both teams used the forward pass frequently. Harvard was particularly successful, while Carlisle failed on all but one. Cutler and Fish worked the pass to perfection and never failed to gain with it. The backfield is still weak in receiving kicks, and in the second half Cutler fumbled a punt from Thorpe on the 40-yard line, Leslie finally recovering the ball on the 14-yard line.

In the individual work, Fish and MacKay stood out in the line. Fish was always active and ran out the forward passes for good gains. MacKay broke through the Indian line on nearly every play, blocking kicks and breaking up interference. Crowley and Browne played well, Browne strengthening the backfield considerably on the defence. Cutler got his plays off smoothly and with good speed, but was slightly outpunted by Thorpe. The substitution of fresh men in the backfield at critical moments proved more than successful, Leslie, Smith and Ver Wiebe all doing well. White, Corbett and Leslie were the best ground gainers and never failed to make their distance.

At the outset, Balenti kicked off to Corbett, who ran the ball back to the 18-yard line. Carlisle was penalized five yards for off-side play. Corbett was thrown for loss, and Kennard punted to Belenti, who was downed on Harvard's 53-yard line. Hendricks failed to gain, and Thorpe punted to Browne on the 30-yard line. Cutler's punt went to Balenti, who ran back ten yards to the 50-yard line. The Indians here fumbled a forward pass, the ball going to Harvard. Carlisle was again penalized for off-side play, and the ball was advanced to the 40-yard line. Kennard's drop kick fell short. On the next play Kennard was put out of the game for unnecessary roughness, and the accompanying penalty gave Carlisle the ball on Harvard's 45-yard line. Thorpe made give yards, but two other plays failed to gain, Harvard getting the ball on its own 38-yard line. White and Corbett netted thirteen yards on two line plays, but a penalty put Harvard back, and Cutler punted to Balenti. After two futile line plunges, Thorpe returned the ball to Cutler on Harvard's 35-yard line. Browne came around from end and made nine yards at right tackle. Ver Wiebe and White brought the ball to Carlisle's 46-yard line. MacKay recovered Cutler's onside kick for a gain of twenty-four yards, and Corbett got free through right tackle for a touchdown. MacKay failed to kick the goal.

The kick-off rolled over the goal line to Corbett for a touchback. Cutler punted out to Thorpe on the 45-yard line. The first play netted eight yards, and Payne made first down at right tackle. A double pass finally went forward to Wauseuka for eleven yards' gain. Thorpe reached the 5-yard line on the next play, but a forward pass went wrong, putting the ball on the 25-yard line. Another attempted forward pass went into Browne's hands. A penalty put Harvard on the 1-yard line, and Cutler punted to Thorpe, who was thrown by Crowley for no gain on the 53-yard line. In a pretty run through a broken field Thorpe took the ball to the 35-yard line. A penalty for holding put the Indians back, and Thorpe kicked out of bounds on Harvard's 35-yard line. Browne made seven yards at end, and line plunging made first down. Then Cutler got off a clever forward pass to Fish. Two line plays put the ball on Carlisle's 28-yard line. Balenti got Cutler's onside kick, Thorpe kicking back out of danger to Cutler on the 45-yard line. Corbett got twelve yards at right tackle, and with White made first down. Corbett was tried at left tackle for twelve yards more. Corbett was hurt, Leslie went into his place and White plunged through right guard for the second touchdown. MacKay kicked the goal. After a few plays time was called and the half ended, with the score 11 to 0 in Harvard's favor.

After kicking out of bounds once, MacKay kicked off to Thorpe, who ran outside on the 22-yard line. The Indians failed to gain on line plays, and Thorpe was forced to punt to Cutler on Harvard's 33-yard line. Leslie made six yards, and was followed by White, who, with MacKay's interference, made twenty-five yards. Leslie in the next three rushes took the ball twenty seven yards by splendid plunging. Then two penalties for off-side play gave the ball to Carlisle. Leslie received the ball to Carlisle. Leslie received the ball from Thorpe in midfield. Another series of hard line plunges brought the ball to Carlisle's 5-yard line, where a penalty gave it to the Indians. Thorpe punted out, but MacKay's recovery of an onside kick and more rushing again put Harvard on the 10-yard line, where Carlisle braced and got the ball on downs. Thorpe's punt went over Cutler's head, and was recovered by Leslie on Harvard's 14-yard line. A fake Kick lost ground, and an onside kick went to Thorpe on the 18-yard line. His placement kick was blocked, but he recovered the ball twelve yards back, and Hendricks ran to Harvard's 6-yard line. Here the Harvard line held, and Carlisle lost the ball on downs. Nine plays netted fifteen yards. Cutting, who was now substituted for Browne, got free on a delayed pass and reached Carlisle's 42-yard line. Leslie gained three yards at right guard. A forward pass to Fish gave Harvard the ball on the 24-yard line. Leslie and White carried the ball to the 8-yard line, and from there two rushes gave Harvard the third touchdown. MacKay kicked the goal. During the remainder of the game there was little danger of either side's scoring. Carlisle had the ball on Harvard's 15-yard line when time was called.

The summary

HARVARD.  CARLISLE.Browne, Cutting, l.e.  r.e., GardnerMacKay, l.t.  r.t., Little Boy, BirdDunlap, l.g.  r.g. Lyon, Little BoyNourse, c.  c., Barrel, JordanHoar, Withington, r.g.  l.g., La RoqueFish, r.t.  l.t., WauseukaCrowley, Brown, r.e.  l.e., Little Old ManCutler, Galatti, q.b.  q.b., Balenti, KellyCorbett, Leslie, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Hendricks, LibbyWhite, Smith, r.h.b.  l.h.b., ThorpeKennard, Ver Wiebe, f.b.  f.b., Payne, Hause