Criticism of Illustrated Magazine

By T. HALL .

The article of most genuine interest in the current number of the Illustrated Magazine is undoubtedly Mr. von Kaltenborn's report of a lecture delivered before a German audience on "The American Impressions of a German Exchange Professor." These impressions, it is gratifying to learn, are as flattering to Harvard as they are interesting. Mr. John Adams contributes a scholarly and appreciative review of Professor Hart's recently completed "American Nation." Of the two timely papers on athletic subjects, one is a somewhat scrappy criticism of the individual members of the basketball team, the other narrates rapidly the history of hockey, with special reference to Harvard, and comments on our prospects for the present season, Mr. E. K. Adams's article on "The 'Outside' Papers of Harvard," a term meant to include all the College periodicals except the five undergraduate papers, gives interesting information on a subject probably little known to undergraduates. Variety and relief are gained by an amusing ghost story by Mr. H. B. Sheahan. On the whole, the issue, though somewhat perfunctory in tone and journalistic in style, is mildly interesting and informing.