HUGHES PROVED FAVORITE

Taft Second in Political Club Straw Ballot.--Johnson Defeats Bryan.

The result of the straw ballot for the election of president of the United States, held under the auspices of the Harvard Political Club in the CRIMSON office yesterday, resulted as follows:

Total number of votes cast 1161.   First.  Second.  Third.  Fourth. Hughes,  435  454  119  52 Taft,  406  475  130  150 Bryan,  122  87  222  603 Johnson,  88  145  580  241

Besides the above votes which are given in order of preference, there were a few scattering votes for other candidates, and nearly a hundred thrown out on account of some technicality. In answer to the question "Do you favor a third term for Roosevelt?" there were 254 affirmative answers and 700 negative. If nominated for a third term 560 were in favor of voting for Roosevelt and 385 not in favor.

A special count of the ballots showed that if the nominees had been Bryan and Hughes, Bryan would have received 130 votes and Hughes 886. Johnson, if nominated, would have received 178 votes to Hughes's 838. Bryan would have had 115 to Taft's 901, and Johnson would have had 265 to Taft's 751. This appears to show that Johnson would stand a better chance than Bryan against either of the Republican candidates.

The polls were managed in a thoroughly business-like and orderly manner, the rules of the caucus being enforced with marked rigidity. Supporters of the different candidates did much to get voters out to help their cause and make the caucus more real and interesting. The seriousness and earnestness with which the whole affair was managed was a strong factor contributing toward its success.