TEAM TO DEBATE YALE

Men to Represent University in Annual Debate in May Chosen Last Night.

At the final trials for the University team to debate against Yale, May 1, J. S. Davis '08, of New York, I. K. Lewis 2L., of Sparta, Wisconsin, and S. F. Peavey, Jr., 2L., of Washington, D. C., were selected for the first team; and G. C. Good '09, T. M. Gregory '10, and S. H. Hurwitz 1G., were chosen for the second team. The subject for the debate is "Resolved, That it will be for the best interests of Cuba that the United States, before the end of the next two years, cease to have any part in the government of that island, reserving only those rights included in the Platt Amendment." The University team has chosen to uphold the affirmative. The Coolidge Prize of $100, for the best undergraduate speaker in all three trials, was awarded to J. S. Davis '08. The speaking was judged by Mr. A. P. Stone '93, who will coach the team, Mr. S. Curtis '05 and Mr. M. C. Leckner '07 of the English department.

Exceptional interest has been shown in the Yale debate this year, as forty-four candidates competed for the team at the first trials on March 26. Coach Stone, who has coached many University debating teams, said that the speaking last night was uniformly above the average. A month still remains before the debate, in which the first team will hold frequent practice debates with the second team.