Deutscher Verein Play Creditably Presented

The first public performance of "Der Neffe has Onkel," a three-act comedy adapted from the French by Friedrich von Schiller, was given by the Deutscher Verein at Brattle Hall last evening.

Entertaining in itself as a clever bit of comedy, the play is also of literary interest as one of the few documents of Schiller's relating to the eighteenth century comedy of the "Intriguenstueck" type. In presenting for the first time in its history a play of marked literary value, the Verein is reaching for a higher station in the interpretation of German drama. Such a play entailed more difficulties in staging and costuming than former Verein comedies; but by careful preparation and owing to the presence in the cast of a large number of Germans, they have been successfully surmounted.

The performance last evening went off smoothly, the acting as a whole was excellent, and the spoken German was remarkable for precision. K. Delbrueck 1G., of Berlin, played the difficult double role of Uncle and Newphew with skill and versatility. H. von Kaltenborn '09, as Oberst on Dorsigny, successfully adapted his acting and appearance to the demands of his part. Of the female parts, that of Frau von Dorsigny by C. O. Mueller '11, received the best interpretation. E. W. Friend '08, who played the part of Sophie, acquitted himself creditably, considering that he assumed the role when rehearsals were well under way. A lack of freedom in gestures interfered with the complete success of W. S. Blakeslee '09 in the role of Frau von Mirville. E. F. Hanfstaengl as Gormeuil and P. M. Piel Sp. as Champagne repeated their successes in previous Verein plays. Of the less important roles that of Ein Notar, played by J. Loewenberg '08 of Konigsberg, was especially well done. F. C. Wellman '11, as Valcour, and O. L. Lyding '09 as Ein Postillon were well able to meet the lesser demands of their parts.