THE STUDENT COUNCIL.

Suspense is over at last! The results of the petition have taken a definite form and intercollegiate winter sports are no longer in danger of annihilation. The Committee has expressed itself as convinced that "it is not desirable" to abolish these contests, but gives no definite statement of its policy in the future, preferring to deal with individual schedules rather than with any period as a whole. It accepts the student co-operation most willingly, and will doubtless give the new council every opportunity to prove its worth as a factor in the situation. What promises to be a satisfactory solution seems near at hand--from an undergraduate point of view because there has been no abolition, and because we are ready to co-operate with the Athletic Committee in accepting such reductions as the Committee may deem necessary and harmless; from a Faculty point of view because the Committee has expressed no intention of disregarding an urgent recommendation, and because the undergraduates have shown their willingness to co-operate in eradicating the evils so commonly attributed to athletics.

A word about the proposed new council. The undergraduate committee took up its work in all earnestness, because it believed that the students had pledged themselves to make good a promise; and because it wanted to prove that curtailment is not a proper remedy for distraction. It wanted to cut deeper, by dealing with the student activities as a whole, in the creation of a sentiment that can never be legislated into existence. It remains only for the College to accept the plan in the same spirit of co-operation in which it was drawn. We are trying to help the Athletic Committee, the Faculty, and the College. Think over the committee's proposition and come to the mass meting prepared to cast a willing and intelligent vote.