COLLEGE AND UNIVERSITY

The increasing number of men who take their degrees in three years is becoming, from an undergraduate's point of view, at least, a serious menace to the College. Throughout Harvard's development the College has been subordinated to the University, or at least placed upon the same plane of importance as the other departments, with the result that we have developed the most efficient graduate and professional schools of any American university. "Contemporaneousness of the whole" has been the object persistently followed--admirably fitted to the needs and desires of graduate students, but to the undergraduates eminently disappointing.

It has been with the greatest difficulty that class privileges in room assignments have been secured, and the College Yard, long an undergraduate stronghold, has now been opened to "graduate school outsiders"; Harvard College is fast losing the pre-eminence it once held.

However well suited to the needs of the University, this is not what the Harvard undergraduates want. College life means more to them than the book learning that they get; athletics, social pursuits and friendships all go to make up what is known as a college education. Harvard College wants to be more than an integral part of a great university; it wants to be treated as a unit, to be dealt with from a different point of view, to have its own rights and privileges, apart from the other Harvard schools, of which we are all proud, but which we hesitate to accept as composed of loyal Harvard men. So long as the Law school is made up of graduates of every college of the land, its devotion will not be to Harvard--no matter how great may be the individual attachment to the real or adopted Alma Mater.

This conception, to which the undergraduates tenaciously cling, is receiving a rude shaking at the hands of three year graduations. With so many Seniors in the Law School our belief in the unity of Harvard College is waning fast. The CRIMSON can think of no greater gift to Harvard than an increase in the requirements, that will assure once and for all the necessity of a four year course; this to be followed by a change in viewpoint among the powers that be, recognizing the pre-eminent position of Harvard College for which undergraduates yearn.