UNIVERSITY FOUR-OARS TIED

Trial Race in Basin Yesterday.-First 1911 Defeated Second.

The race between the two University four-oars, rowed downstream over the one and seven-eighths mile course in the Basin yesterday, resulted in a dead heat. Neither crew was able to gain a substantial lead at any time, and the lead alternated several times during the race.

The crew stroked by Morgan gained slightly on the start, but Bacon's crew, rowing a higher stroke, succeeded, in wearing down their opponents' lead and were about half a length to the good by the time Harvard bridge was reached. At this point Morgan's crew again came to the fore, and the two boats were on even terms for a while. Shortly before the finish Bacon's crew spurted and gained nearly a length, but were unable to hold their distance, and Morgan's men drew up on them, and made the race a tie. There will probably be another trial race between the same two crews tomorrow, after which six men will be selected to go to New London on Monday.

The two Freshman fours also raced yesterday, going over a course of about a mile upstream from the Harvard bridge to the Cottage Farm bridge. The crew stroked by Richardson, got the advantage of the start, and maintained its supremacy from start to finish. Superiority in power, combined with a higher rate of stroke, enabled them to draw steadily away and win by about two lengths of open water. As a result of the race six men will be chosen to constitute the Freshman four-oar and substitutes.

The orders of the crews follow:

University Four-Stroke, Morgan; 3, E. Cutler; 2, Fahnestock; bow, Ellis; cox., King.

Second Four-Stroke, G. Bacon; 3, Withington; 2, Lovering; bow, Marvin; cox., Adams.

Freshman Four-Stroke, Richardson; 3, Harding; 2, Smith; bow, Oveson; cox., Cox.

Second Four-Stroke, Reece; 3, Jowett; 2, Peabody; bow, Coe; cox., Everett.