A CHAMPIONSHIP HOCKEY GAME.

It is now three years since Harvard has won a hockey championship. Before 1907, it was generally expected that the University team would win. This success was due in some measure to the better chances for practice in this vicinity where continuously cold winters were once in order. Of recent years the weather authorities have adopted different tactics and today an advantage in latitude is of less consequence than access to artificial ice. The University team has had just five days of practice on ice in Cambridge, including the games played, and but for the time spent in New York during the holidays it would be hopelessly handicapped in the game with Princeton tonight.

Harvard has won five of the six games played with Princeton, losing in 1907 to a championship team by a score of four to three. From all accounts, the championship this year will probably be determined by this game. In their playing in New York during the recess, the University team appeared to be unusually strong. Some of the athletic club teams which they met expressed the opinion that this year's seven is the strongest college team they had ever played. It remains to be seen how much of this skill has been lost through lack of practice.