NOTABLE APPOINTMENTS.

The announcement of the first new appointments in the Graduate School of Applied Science marks an epoch in the development of the school and in the policy of the University in regard to the scientific and engineering departments. The University is now prepared to make the standard of work in engineering the very highest to be obtained anywhere and to place this graduate school on the same level with the others. It is expected that these appointments will be followed in quick succession by others, and by means of the large endowment soon to be available and the spirit of the school, which is satisfied with nothing but the highest in technical training, the great teachers of applied science throughout the country will be enlisted in carrying out this ideal program.

The men who have received these first appointments are eminent teachers. They believe in what Harvard proposes to do for engineering and they are willing to give up their associations elsewhere and lend their aid in the work. The appointments clearly show the policy of the authorities of the school in calling men who are not simply eminent engineers. They are searching out the great teachers and do not intend to govern their choice simply by the standard of a man's technical knowledge.

It is by means of the McKay bequest that these plans can be carried out. By the first of December, it is expected that the accumulation on the estate will have reached $1,000,000, after which this sum will be turned over to the University by provision of the will "to be used in the promotion of applied science." Thereafter, eighty per cent. of the net income, over and above the annuities, on the estate which is valued at between $4,500,000 and $5,000,000 will be paid annually and eventually the estate itself will come to the University. Thus the resources of the school are practically unlimited.