DR. EASTMAN ON INDIAN WIT

An Indian Himself. He Has Learned Tales Never Confided to a White Man.

Dr. Charles A. Eastman will speak on "Indian Wit, Humor, Poetry and Eloquence" in the Living Room of the Union this evening at 8 o'clock. The lecture will be open to members of the Union only.

Dr. Eastman, a Sioux Indian, was born in Minnesota about 1858 and passed the first fifteen years of his life in the woods, enjoying the free, nomadic existence of his race. After that he studied for a short while at a missionary school and then entered college. He is a graduate of Dartmouth and of Boston University. During the last fifteen years he has led a life of varied interests, having acted as a physician, missionary, writer and speaker. For the greater part of the time he has held an appointment under the United States government.

Dr. Eastman's knowledge of Indian folk-lore and religion has been refreshed by frequent visits to various tribes, where he has learned many stories never confided to a white man. His first book, "Indian Boyhood," written in 1902, has met with hearty appreciation. Since then he has written other books on the same subject.