CHINA AND HER CUSTOMS

Stereopticon Views of the Great Wall Shown by Lieut. Gammon.

Lieutenant Charles F. Gammon delivered a lecture in the Union last evening on "China," illustrated by many interesting stereopticon views.

He explained that China is the greatest of all nations in age, industry and population. Over two thousand years ago the country was civilized but today social and political conditions are much the same as they were at that time. Views were shown of the different modes of travelling at the present time and one of a model of a crude taxicab which was in use nearly a thousand years ago. Pictures were shown of the Great Wall, which was completed in 204 B.C., and which has never been surpassed by any architectural feat in the history of the world. The Great Canal is another monument of the skill of the ancient Chinese.

Lieutenant Gammon went on to explain many of the customs prevalent in China today, the religious of the people, and the effect of modern civilization upon them. He closed by showing the change which the new awakening of the people is bringing about in the country and what education is doing for a nation, the masses of which look back thousands of years for their ideals of civilization.