AFTER THE GAME

We have no excuses or complaints to make in regard to the outcome of the great game, nor can any number of "ifs" soften the sting of defeat. Victory went to the better team, and the Yale eleven earned all the credit that it is receiving by playing a hard, clean game and doing it better than its opponents. The University team was helpless against a style of play which it was not prepared to meet on even terms, and for which it had no correspondingly effective attack.

In spite of the defeat we can not account the Harvard team in any respect a failure. No team that plays always with every bit of its strength and to the best of its knowledge can be called a failure whether it wins or loses. We are proud of the Harvard team for the victories that it won during the season, and of its hard struggle in a losing game.

To Coach Haughton and to his assistants, who have made unselfish sacrifice of time and effort throughout the season for the benefit of the squad, the thanks of all Harvard men are due. The loss of the final game was due to lack of the proper material to pick from, rather than to any failure of the coaches to make the most of what they had. We believe that the coaching was conducted on exactly the right Principles, and that in these past two seasons the foundation has been laid for a permanent coaching system, by which the experience of one year may be made available to the next-a system which must in the end establish our football on even terms with our other major sports.