CORNELL WON CROSS-COUNTRY

University Seventh in Intercollegiates.- Withington Fourth to Finish.

The University cross-country team finished seventh, with a score of 153 points, in the eleventh annual intercollegiate cross-country run held over the new Massachusetts Institute of Technology course Saturday morning. Cornell easily won the race with 22 points, as the first five of the team finished in the first eight. Technology cam second with a score of 88, followed by Michigan with 112, and Yale with 114. Dartmouth, which entered a team for the first time, unexpectedly finished fifth with 123 points. The scores of the other teams were: Syracuse 143, Pennsylvania 183, Columbia 232, Princeton 234. The weak showing of Pennsylvania may be partly accounted for by Paull's absence.

T.S. Berna of Cornell won the individual championship by defeating W.H. Tappan, his team-mate, by eight yards. His time was 33 minutes, 5 1-5 seconds. P.R. Withington '12 of Harvard finished fourth in 33 minutes 24 seconds.

The start was made on the Technology Field at 10.40 O'clock, and the race run in circuits of one and one-half and four and one-half miles. At the start P.D. White of technology took the lead, followed by E.L.Veits '11 of Harvard in second place. The order had changed at the end of the first circuit and H.G. Watkins, L.O.Mills, and H.S. Benson, all of Technology, led. Withington, the first Harvard man at the time was running fifteenth.

At the end of the fourth mile, Withington went ahead, and led over the Larz Anderson hill and to the Technology Field. Then on the last quarter-mile on the cinder track, he was passed by the two Cornell men and Captain May of Michigan. Captain H.S. Young of Cornell, last year's champion, finished fifth.

Following are the order and times of the first five men, and the finish of the Harvard men who scored; 1, T.S. Berna, Cornell, 33m., 5 1-5s.; 2, W.H. Tappan Cornell, 33m., 6 1-5s; 3, D.C. May Michigan 33m., 12s.; 4, P.R. Withington '12, Harvards, 33m., 24s.; 5, H.S. Young, Cornell, 33m., 41s.; 27, P.C. Heald '11, Harvard; 36, W.H. Fernald '12, Harvard; 39, H.Y. Masten '10, Harvard; 47, W.P. Rogers '11, Harvard.