CROSS-COUNTRY INSIGNIA

A few days ago the CRIMSON called attention to the fact that substitutes on the University football squad who did not play in the Yale game deserved some in signia as a reward. The communication in another column calls attention to a condition in the award of cross-country insignia, which, on its face, is similar, but which, in reality, is not the same. Men who represent Harvard in cross-country runs receive the "H.A.A.," just as men entered in the Yale and intercollegiate track meets. Each one has a chance to win the track "H" by finishing first, but, what is more important, these cross-country runners naturally have the best chance to win places in the two distance events in the spring track meets.

Apparently it was with this last point in view that the present rules governing the award of cross-country insignia were drafted. Seeing that a place on the cross-country team insures the distinction of an "H.A.A.," and since cross-country men apparently have a better chance than any others to win the "H" in the mile and two-mile runs, we believe that the change suggested is hardly justified by the conditions.