Conditions of Francis Boott Prize

By the terms of the will of Francis Boott '31, "An annual prize of $100 shall be awarded to the writer of the best composition in concerted vocal music. The competitors for the prize shall be either undergraduates or members of any graduate school of Harvard University."

The composition must be written for four voices (soprano, alto, tenor and bass), for chorus, with or without solo voices, with organ or piano accompaniment, and of which the time of performance must not exceed six minutes. "The words shall be either English or Latin, religious or secular, original or selected." The prize will be awarded only in case a composition is submitted which fulfills the requirements of the committee. The prize composition will be performed in the College Chapel, with choir and organ, under the direction of W. A. Locke '69, organist.

Compositions must be presented to the chairman of the committee on or before March 1, 1910. The title page must bear an assumed name, and the writer must give in, with his composition, a sealed letter containing his real name and superscribed with his assumed one. The committee in charge of the competition consists of the following: W. A. Locke '69, chairman; O. Foote '74, G. A. Burdett '81.