School of Arts and Sciences Awards

A large number of fellowships and scholarships have been awarded in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences for 1909-10. There are included in the list 113 fellowships and scholarships with stipend, and one John Harvard Fellowship without stipend, making a total of 114 appointments. Of these twelve are travelling fellowships for study in Europe, and 102 are fellowships and scholarships for resident study in Cambridge. The number of colleges and universities represented in the list is fifty-seven. Of the appointees, sixty-eight are, or have been students in the University, while forty-six, or forty per cent., have never studied at Harvard. Twenty-one, or eighteen per cent., hold a Harvard A.B. or S.B. as their first degree. Six are Harvard undergraduates, and seventeen are seniors in other colleges. The appointments have an aggregate income of $32,650. A number of fellowships and scholarships affected by special provisions have not yet been filled for 1909-10, and hence are not entered in the list.

The names of the holders of the travelling fellowships follow:

Edward William Hooper Fellowship--E. D. Congdon, 4G., of Lima, N. Y., A.B. (Syracuse University) 1901, A.M. (ibid.) 1905, Austin Teaching Fellow in Zoology, candidate for Ph.D., student of Zoology.

Charles Eliot Norton Fellowship--C. A. R. Sanborn, 2G., of Somerville, Mass., A. B., 1905, A.M., 1908, Charles Haven Goodwin Scholar, student of the Classics.--Rogers Fellowships--Dunham Jackson, 1G., of Bridgewater, Mass., A.B., 1908, Shattuck Scholar, candidate for A.M., student of Mathematics. R. H. Lord, 3G., of Plano, Ill., A.B., 1906, A.M., 1907, Parker Fellow at Vienna, student of History and Government.

Parker. Fellowships--Latham Clarke, Ph.D., of West Kingston, R. I., S. B. (Rhode Island Coll.) 1902, A.M. (Brown Univ.) 1903, Ph.D. (Harvard Univ.) 1905, Instructor in Chemistry, student of Chemistry. T. P. Cross, 4G., of Norfolk, Va., A.B. (Hampden-Sidney Coll.) 1899, S.B. (ibid.) 1900, A.M. (Harvard Univ.) 1906, Edward Austin Fellow, candidate for Ph.D., student of Celtic and Comparative Literature. H. G. Leach, 4G., of Cape May City, N. J., A.B. (Princeton Univ.) 1903, A.M. (Harvard Univ.) 1906, Ph.D. (ibid) 1908, Edward William Hooper Fellow at Copenhagen, student of Scandinavian.

Henry Lee Memorial Fellowship--H. L. Lutz, 2G., of Salem, O., A.B. (Oberlin Coll.) 1907, A.M. (Harvard Univ.) 1908, Austin Teaching Fellow in Economics, student of Economics.

Harris Fellowship--W. A. Hurwitz, 3G., of Joplin, Mo., A.B., S.B., A.M. (Univ. of Missouri) 1906, A.M. (Harvard Univ.) 1907, Parker Fellow at Gottingen, student of Mathematics.

John Thornton Kirkland Fellowship--M. W. Tyler, 2G., of Amherst, Mass., A.B. (Amherst Coll.) 1906, A.M. (Harvard Univ.) 1908, student of History and Government.

James Walker Fellowship -- Jacob Loewenberg, 1G., of Jamaica Plain. Mass., A.B., 1908, University Scholar, candidate for A. M., student of Philosophy.

John Harvard Fellowship--C. H. Haring, 1G., of Philadelphia, Pa., A.B., 1907. John Harvard Fellow at Oxford, student of History and Government.