THE SPEAKERS' CLUB AGAIN.

The communication in another column explains well enough the aims of the Speakers' Club, but we do not think that it gives any conclusive reason for presenting a play. While the philanthropic purpose is distinctly commendable, we believe, perhaps rather selfishly, that the undergraduates should support their own institutions before coming to the aid of outside charities. Even though the members of the cast would not have tried for Dramatic Club parts, the fact remains that they are given an opportunity to do so, and that this club deserves the support of all men interested in acting. As was shown by the success of the play last fall it is filling an important place at Harvard, and it is unfortunate that its sphere should be entered by another organization.

If the present attitude gains ground, the Monthly will soon begin issuing comic supplements and the chess team will be giving gymnastic exhibitions in the Yard. Although the Speakers' Club has a perfect right to give theatricals, we still maintain that it should stick to its own department and leave representative undergraduate dramatics to the proper organization.