PROF. G. F. SWAIN IN UNION

Lectures in Living Room at 8 on "Engineering as a Profession."

Professor George F. Swain of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology will speak on "Engineering as a Profession," in the Living Room of the Union this evening at 8 o'clock. This will be the fourth of the series of lectures on professions, and will be open to members of the Union only.

After being graduated from Technology in 1877, Professor Swain studied for a number of years at the Royal Engineering School in Berlin. When he returned to this country, he was appointed an instructor in the Institute, and after two years was made assistant and later associate professor. In 1887 he became professor of civil engineering, a position that he holds at present.

Professor Swain has been for over 20 years consulting engineer of the Massachusetts State Railroad Commissioners, and in that capacity has built a number of bridges, besides constructing the Boston subways. He has been a member of the Boston Transit Commission since its organization in 1894 and has done much to simplify traffic conditions in Boston. He has also studied the subject of the conservation of the natural resources of the nation, and last spring was appointed by President Roosevelt a member of the national commission in charge of that work. He is well known as an author of scientific works, and has written many papers on subjects pertaining to engineering.

Last January Professor Swain was appointed to a professorship in the Graduate School of Applied Science in the University, and he will take up his work next September.