THE HAMMER-THROW.

A recent article and a communication in the Bulletin give evidence of the growing unpopularity of the hammer-throw. As pointed out there, the danger of accidents makes it necessary to hold the event at some remote point, with the result that the spectators at a meet seldom see what is going on. Naturally their interest in the outcome is not particularly great, and the number of participants shows that the event fails to interest many of the University athletes. It is suggested that the solution of the question lies in erecting a net in the Stadium, so that the hammer-throwers can contest in view of the spectators without any risk of danger to the latter from the flying weights.

It is undoubtedly true that something should be done to take this form of outdoor athletics from its present rut. In spite of numerous calls for candidates, there are very few men out, and these do not receive the praise merited by their weeks of drudgery behind the Stadium. If it is believed that more publicity given to the event will increase its popularity, by all means let us have some arrangement by which we can all see the hammer-throw from the regular seats.