PRESIDENT LOWELL'S IDEALS

Need of Co-operation Emphasized in His Speech in Gov. 1 Yesterday.

In a short speech in reply to an enthusiastic ovation at the beginning of his lecture in Government 1 yesterday morning, President Lowell emphasized his need of undergraduate co-operation in the carrying out of his plans. He defined his conception of the relation between college and university, which in his judgment should not be separated from each other. President Lowell declared that the ideal which he wished Harvard to attain was the development of men well-trained in every respect.

The President spoke as follows:

"I thank you for the greeting. You do not know what a change this is for me; giving up the pleasant life that I have thoroughly enjoyed. Nothing is more stimulating than to lecture before a class of young men like this. I am going to leave this pleasant work and take up the most difficult task in the United States. The American college is being attacked on all sides and for all sorts of reasons. Many educators say that the college and the other departments of the university should be distinct and separate. I do not sympathize with those ideas, but I know that to make a college what it should be, to have it be of service to all the students who come to it, is not by any means an easy thing.

"We should have it said that Harvard turns out better all-round men than any other college,--mentally, morally and physically. I am wholly incompetent to do this alone or even with the help of all the Faculty. I shall need the co-operation of all of you in order to be successful."