HARVARD, 4; PRINCETON, 1

University Baseball Team Won Series by Hard Hitting and Fast Fielding.

Princeton, N. J., May 24, 1909.--The University baseball team won its second game from Princeton this afternoon by the score of 4 to 1. Clean hard hitting at the right time, fast fielding, and Hicks's remarkable speed were the chief factors in Harvard's victory.

Hicks was a little wild at first and gave five bases on balls, but he soon steadied and Princeton failed to make a single hit off his delivery. Cunningham who started the game in the box for Princeton was effective for two innings. Then three hits in succession, one a three-bagger, by Hicks, brought in two runs. Aronson opened the fourth inning with another three-base hit, and scored on Dana's single. When the fifth began, White was seen in Cunningham's place, and the latter retired to right field. White was only a slight improvement, and allowed four of the nine hits made by the University team. Dana scored Harvard's last run on Reed's wild throw into the bleachers.

Hicks excelled at the bat with a single and a fine three-bagger to left field. Lanigan made two clean hits over second, and all the others except Harvey and MacLaughlin counted once. MacLaughlin and Simons were very fast around second base, and Dillon and Reed also covered much ground. Dana made a fine running catch of a foul fly. Briggs played a splendid game on first base in spite of a severe blow on the head in the third inning, when Myers collided with him as he stepped into the baseline to stop a wide throw from Hicks. Lanigan was a little unsteady in the eighth inning and his two errors were responsible for Princeton's only run; but otherwise he played a splendid game.

The prospects of Harvard in the first inning were dark. Lanigan, Harvey, and Currier, went out in succession. Then Dillon drew a base on balls. Ballin attempted to sacrifice, but Lanigan fielded the bunt to MacLaughlin, who made a beautiful stop and Dillon was forced at second. Ballin promptly stole, second on Currier's high throw, and Simons's wonderful catch was the only thing that prevented his taking another base. Hicks then passed Dawson, and Sides was at bat with only one out. A foul fly to Briggs, however, changed the aspect, and Princeton's hopes, were ended when Harvey made a fast play off Warwick's line fly.

In the second Harvard also retired in order, and Briggs opened the third with a fly to right. Then the hitting began. Simons singled, and scored when Hicks followed with a splendid drive to deep left. The ball rolled far beyond the fielder, and Hicks made third easily. Lanigan placed one just over second base, and Hicks trotted home with the second run. Lanigan took second on a wild pitch, but remained there, as Harvey struck out, and Currier hit to short. In the same inning Princeton could not advance two men who were on base, Myers was safe at first when "Briggs dropped the ball after his injury. Dillon sent a high fly to Simons and Ballin struck out. The inning was prolonged by Dawson's drawing his second pass. Sides again failed to bring in a run, giving MacLaughlin an easy chance on a pop fly.

The University team earned another run in the fourth inning. Aronson drove a liner between right and centre for three bases. He was held on third when MacLaughlin hit to Reed, but Dana's timely single enabled him to tallyed Dana was caught stealing, and Briggs, who had not recovered from his accident struck out.

A neat double play spoiled Princeton's chances in the fifth. Pitman, who was passed, started for second when White hit a fast liner to Simons. The latter caught it close to the ground and threw to first. Harvard's other run came in the sixth with two out, when Dana hit to Reed, who threw far over Warwick's head into the bleachers. There should have been another run in the eighth. Currier singled, and was advanced a base on Aronson's sacrifice. The latter was safe on the first baseman's poor throw to Dillon, who covered the base. MacLaughlin struck out, and Dana knocked a fly to right. Currier might have scored but started before the ball was caught and the run was not allowed.

Princeton's only run came in the last of the eighth. With one out, Dillon hit to Lanigan, who fumbled. Ballin sacrificed him to second, Dillon made a dash for third and Lanigan let Hicks's throw get through him, Dillon scoring. Hicks became stronger and stronger as the game progressed, and finished by retiring Sides, Warwick, and Cunningham in order in the ninth.

The team left for New York immediately after the game, and returned on the midnight.

The summary follows:

HARVARD.  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Lanigan, 3b.  5  0  2  0  2  2Harvey, c.f.  4  0  0  2  0  0Currier, c.  4  0  1  6  0  0Aronson, r.f.  3  1  1  1  0  0MacLaughlin, 2b.  4  0  0  3  3  0Dana, l.f.  4  1  1  2  0  0Briggs, lb.  4  0  1  9  0  0Simons, s.s.  4  1  1  3  2  0Hicks, p.  3  1  2  1  2  1Totals,  35  4  9  27  9  3PRINCETON.  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Dillon, 2b.  3  1  0  4  2  0Ballin, l.f.  3  0  0  0  0  0Dawson, c.  2  0  0  6  2  0Sides, 3b.  4  0  0  0  2  0Warwick, lb.  4  0  0  10  0  1Cunn'gh'm, p., r.f.  4  0  0  2  1  0Reed, s.s.  2  0  0  0  5  1Pitman, c.f.  2  0  0  3  0  0Myers, r.f.  1  0  0  2  0  0White, p.  2  0  0  0  0  0Totals,  27  1  0  27  12