REPORT OF BROOKS HOUSE

Detailed Account of Philanthropic Work Carried on During the Year.

The Phillips Brooks House Association has had to confront and solve certain real problems in fostering the religious life of the University. Generally speaking, however, there has been progress all along the line. No radical changes have occurred, but the policy adopted a few years ago has been not only maintained but broadened and strengthened in various directions.

Social Service Committee.

The aim of the Social Service Committee has been to increase its usefulness in the University. Early in October pamphlets were issued containing 21 pages of information in regard to social service in Boston and Cambridge, and sent to all men who expressed on their registration cards a willingness to undertake philanthropic work. By this means many men were brought into touch with social service who otherwise would have known nothing of it. The committee has met regularly during the year at informal sessions in the Directors' Room at Memorial Hall. Its activities have been carried on under the direction of A. G. Cable '09, chairman. J. T. Nightengale '10 has had charge of the probate court work and the entertainment troupes, P. W. Carter '10 of assignments which place men as directors of boys clubs, L. C. Seaverns '10 of deputations to various schools and Y. M. C. A's., and H. E. Wetzel '11 of the Text Book Loan Library.

Christian Association.

The most significant feature of the activities of the Christian Association has been the organization of the Bible Study department. Many group classes led by upperclassmen and graduates have met weekly in dormitories and private houses for study of the Bible. The department owes especial thanks to Dean Hodges, Professor Ropes, and Mr. W. H. Tinker of the Mt. Vernon Street Church for their generous co-operation in conducting several groups. In addition to the regular work of the department, a course of eight lectures by Professors Platner, Royce, and Peabody was arranged for members of the Law and Graduate Schools upon the subject "The Fundamental Principles of Christianity." The average attendance at these lectures was about 100 men, and they have laid the foundations for establishing branches of the Association in both Schools. From time to time throughout the year Bible Study conferences were held at which the speakers were Mr. Clayton S. Cooper of New York, Mr. E. S. Latourette of Yale, Mr. E. C. Carter '00, Dean Fenn, and Mr. Eliot. At the International Conference at Columbus, Ohio, the Association was represented by three delegates from the undergraduates and two from the Faculty. Still another effort of the committee has been to co-operate with near-by churches, which offer courses in the study of the Bible.

In the spring of 1908 a movement of considerable importance was initiated by a group of members of the Association. As a result a series of meetings of strictly evangelical character was conducted under the auspices of the Association, and although some opposition was raised on the ground that they laid too great emphasis on the theological tenets of christianity, yet, in the light of the year's work that followed, it has been well proved that they drew a group of men who would not otherwise have been reached.

St. Paul's Society.

The St. Paul's Society has conducted its usual Wednesday evening meetings in the Noble Room and held monthly corporate communions in Christ Church. It has endeavored constantly also to place churchmen in positions of social service in connection with the Episcopal Churches in Cambridge and Boston. This department of the work has been conducted by M. E. Peabody '11.

St. Paul's Catholic Club.

The St. Paul's Catholic Club has held fortnightly meetings at which prominent clergymen and laymen were invited to speak. The active membership shows an increase of 25 per cent. over that of last year. Though still in alliance with Phillips Brooks House Association the centre of the club's activities is now at its comparatively new house, 34 Mt. Auburn street. Here the club maintains its own assembly and reading rooms, its library of 500 volumes, and its game and pool rooms.

Harvard Mission.

Although the work of the undergraduate committee of the Harvard Mission during the past year has been more quiet than usual, the year has, nevertheless, been one of missionary interest. At the first meeting of the committee held last fall it was voted that inasmuch as Mr. E. C. Carter '00 had returned to this country, the committee devote its efforts towards raising money to send a man to China to investigate conditions for establishing a Harvard School of Medicine. The plan for establishing such a school was first presented by Mr. M. A. Edwards '04, and Mr. W. S. Whittemore '04, two Harvard Medical School student volunteers. In the spring of 1909 this plan received the support of the Faculty of the Harvard Medical School. Mr. Eliot has from the first been in hearty sympathy with the plan and is at present chairman of the Board of Trustees. Inasmuch as the year was nearly over, before it was known whether this Medical School project would receive the necessary approval, and inasmuch as it was thought best not to make public announcement before such approval had been given, the committee has had very little time to raise money for the work. It is making efforts to raise $300 through contributions from graduates and undergraduates. Relationship has been had with all Harvard missionaries on the foreign field by means of correspondence. This has enabled the Mission to keep in touch with the actual endeavors of those men, who in some measure represent it in foreign lands.