NEW CREW ORDER RETAINED

Boat Went Well in Four-Mile Trial Row.--Sargent Stroked Four-Oar.

Harvard Training Quarters, Red Top, Conn., June 20, 1909.--Late last evening Coach Wray sent the University eight in its new order over the four-mile course on time. The crew covered the distance up-stream, under fair conditions, in 21 minutes, 37 seconds. No attempt at speed was made throughout the course, the object being to get the new order well together, to try Cutler out at stroke, and to see if Withington was fit for the distance. The stroke was kept at 30 except for the third half-mile, when it was raised to 31. At the finish the crew gradually increased the stroke to 34, and then in the last ten strokes to 36. The time by half-miles was as follows: half-mile, 2.40; mile, 5.25; mile and one-half, 8.18; two miles, 10.55; two miles and one-half, 13.27; three miles, 16.16; three miles and one-half, 19.01; four miles, 21.37.

The work of the crew was most encouraging; in fact, it is considered to be the best the crew has done since its arrival here, and there is now no doubt that the present order will be permanent. Cutler's stroke was long and well timed, with the result that all the men behind him rowed a longer stroke, the slides were well controlled, and the boat moved along with hardly a check between strokes. P. Withington at 6 fitted in well and finished in good condition. It the crew continues to improve as indicated by yesterday's work, it seems very likely that the change will benefit the crew in spite of its late date.

The work yesterday morning was light. The University eight covered about four miles in all. There was another change made in the University four, Sargent replacing Hooper at stroke. Hooper was shifted to 2, and Waite returned to stroke of the second four. The University four went exceedingly well, Sargent's work at stroke in this boat being of great value. In the afternoon the Freshman eight went over the two-mile course up-stream. No time was taken. A low stroke was maintained, except for occasional short spurts. The boat went fairly well, but the men were inclined to lose their rhythm at a high stroke. A further change was made necessary in the University four in the afternoon, as Hooper was sent back to Boston on account of symptoms of measles. H. Forster '11, who has been rowing bow in the second four, took his place, and in spite of the change, the boat went even better that it did in the morning. Before the University crew went out in the evening, Captains Cutler and Howe, together with F. V. Chappell, chairman of the regatta committee, decided to row the race over the course as at present staked out.

Today the members of both squads enjoyed a long sail on Mr. W. E. Iselin's yacht, "Vigilant." The guests at the quarters yesterday and today included Dr. J. P. Hutchinson '90, C. Thompson '99, C. B. Wood '99, J. R. Montgomery '06, H. M. Turner '06, J. L. White '06, J. Richardson, Jr., '08.