CROSS-COUNTRY TEAM SECOND

In intercollegiate Run.--Lawless and Jaques Finished Third and Fourth.

The University cross-country team finished second, with a score of 70 points, in the twelfth annual intercollegiate cross-country run held at Princeton, N. J., Saturday morning. Cornell easily won the race with 37 points, its fifth man finishing before the first man of the Dartmouth, Princeton, Columbia, or College of the City of New York teams. Yale finished a close third with 73 points. Michigan was fourth with 86; Massachusetts Institute of Technology fifth with 120; Princeton, sixth with 171; University of Pennsylvania, seventh with 193; Dartmouth, eighth with 211; Columbia, ninth with 230; and the College of the City of New York, tenth with 308. Brown and Syracuse were not represented in the run.

J. P. Jones of Cornell won the individual championship by 60 yards over his team-mate, T. S. Berna, who won the race last year.

H. P. Lawless '13 finished 200 yards behind Berna. H. Jaques, Jr., '11, who was not expected to be in condition to run, got the second Harvard place by finishing fourth, only a few yards behind Lawless. P. R. Withington '12 and E. H. Gray of Yale had a very exciting contest for fifth place. For nearly the last 100 yards of the race they ran shoulder to shoulder. Just before the finish, Withington faltered and the Yale man won by less than a yard. Withington was completely run out, and had to be helped into the gymnasium. The two other runners to score for the University team were S. Nichols '13 and E. L. Viets '11.

The runners all got away from the start well and kept bunched for the first two miles. Near the end of the first lap of three miles, Withington went into the lead and was running well at the beginning of the second lap. Gray of Yale was third at this point; Jones, seventh; Berna, eighth; Jaques, ninth; and Lawless, tenth. In the open country beyond, Withington and Gray gradually fell back, and at the beginning of the last mile the Cornell runners, Jones and Berna, went to the fore.

Following are the order and the times of the first five men and of the Harvard men who scored: 1, J. P. Jones, Cornell, 33 min., 34 sec.; 2, T. S. Berna, Cornell, 33 min., 42 1-5 sec.; 3, H. P. Lawless '13, 34 min.; 10 sec.; 4, H. Jaques, Jr., '11, 34 min.; 10 3-5 sec.; 5, E. H. Gray, Yale, 34 min.; 18 sec.; 6, P. R. Withington '12, 34 min., 18 1-5 sec.; 27, S. Nichols '13, 35 min., 44 sec.; 30, E. L. Viets '11, 35 min., 57 sec.