THE AERONAUTICAL SOCIETY.

The meeting of the Harvard Aeronautical Society this evening in the Union is of great importance to the large number of men in the University who profess an interest in the navigation of the air. The attendance at this meeting will directly decide whether or not the society is to continue along the lines it has already laid down for its future course. A high standard has been set; it now remains to be seen whether that standard can be maintained.

The result of the Squantum meet is undoubtedly the greatest testimony of the success of the society during the past year. The lectures by members of the Faculty, which are to be continued this winter, were highly instructive, in a popular as well as a scientific sense. Moreover, the apparatus which is now at the command of the society, offers a rare opportunity for all those interested in any branch of flight by means of planes. In one year the Aeronautical Society has won a place beside the largest aero clubs of this country.

Nevertheless, a decrease in the interest of the members will mean that the society cannot maintain such a position. Without the support of a large membership an attempt to manage another successful meet at Squantum would be evidently out of the question. Therefore, it is only by a large and enthusiastic enrollment at the meeting this evening that the society can hope to maintain the high standard of its first year's work.