THE VALUE OF MARKS.

A recent investigation made by the editor of the Bulletin throws new and valuable light on the relation of marks in College to success in after life. Dean Briggs, Dean Wells, and Professor F. E. Farrington '94 each submitted a list of men in the class of '94 whom they considered successful. Twenty-three men were on all three lists. The college records of there were looked up and compared with those of the same number of members of the class taken at random. The "successful" men were found to have obtained in examinations 196 A's, 180 B's, and 156 C's while the others obtained 56 A's, 183 B's, and 247 C's.

Such statistics as these, especially when strengthened by the investigation made by President Lowell last year to ascertain the connection between College and Law School marks, hardly bear out the "undergraduate hallucination which assumes an entire absence of any connection between examination grades and post-collegiate success." The man who takes the view that studies are all that are worth while at College is doubtless narrow-minded, but, on the other hand, the man who fails to recognize the direct relation of studies to general capacity and effectiveness in after life is no less short-sighted.